Preparations for a new tank have now begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The baltimore aquarium is really a wonderful aquarium, but do be aware that you need tickets to get in. You may want to visit their website and order them well in advance as sometimes they are hard to get ahold of.

UPDATE: Again, I wish it was more of a meaty update. The Baltimore excursion is still diverting funds from my project. I can't believe I spent $380 on a new dress for it!!

In the last several weeks, I've been slowly aquiring some stuff when I can get away with it. I have two new 100W heaters and some driftwood. I also am looking to buy a second-hand 4 foot T5 lighting fixture for $40. While I plan to eventually get MHs, this will do fine for when the discus are juvies and the tank is bare bottom.

Just before Xmas I took a 70km journey from West to East to see Dean from Mastercraft Specialty Furniture. After an hour, I came away with a custom-design and a quote which was in the order of $800. I don't know what custom-built stands are like elsewhere in he world, but to me, that's a steal given that non-pine stands they sell in LFS often start at that price, AND they don't look anywhere near as nice. While it will look alot like the one on Page 6, it's been given the Shaz-touch.

For starters, the wine rack won't exist. Instead will be a third cabinet. Inside each section will be a column so I can attach equipment neatly such as powerboards, CO2 reactor, etc. Also, Dean is going to leave a round hole in the bottom so I can stand up a D-size CO2 cylinder/regulator inside the unit. This will basically mean it doesn't ruin the look by having a cylinder outside the cabinet. It'll be finished in a slightly darker colour to contrast with my existing furniture. It should be ready in around 8 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom