Preparing for a 55 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the AH Supply cover I doubt you could fit more than the 220 watts they claim. In a standard canopy you could fit another pair. The AH Supply enclosure is made to fit a 55 gallon tank and is only 9.75" wide. Your tank is 18".

So I noticed. But the canopy All-glass has for a 90 Gallon is about three times the cost, and this enclosure is built for the 4x55 setup. Plus it won't cover the hatches of the glass hoods, which has always been the reason I didn't use canopies. I don't like having to open two things to feed :)

You can get the CO2 gas from your local welding supply company (check phone book for gasses or welding supply). I got a 20 lb bottle for $100 which includes the cost of the bottle. Later refills will be much cheaper at about $20. From what I read a 10 lb bottle can last a year depending on how it is used. I'm just starting out also.

I'm going to suggest you do either DIY CO2 or find maybe a 'cheap' second hand pressurized CO2 system. I found the Excel to be beneficial to plants in low doses, but not in large doses because it is made up of sugars that bacteria like to munch on too--reducing the oxygen in the tank. Again, in small doses it is great. I think, though, your plants will benefit from real CO2 much more.

I'm currently in the process of getting second hand pressurized CO2. I'm a little scared of it, however, so I'm trying to be cautious. There are dangers of the can falling, etc. or leaking.

Good luck with the tank! A 90 gallon with Eco-Complete sounds great!

Well, the filter is on the way. Finally got shipping comfirmation. Of course, they don't seem to have sent my Eco-complete yet. They called Sunday morning saying they only had 3 bags.. But would send those and then send the other 2 when they came in. Hopefully, I'll get another confirmation later. I can find 2-3 bags locally between like, 3 lfs.. But not the 6-7 total I desire.

i had to take the AHS 55 watt bulb out of my tank today until i get all the evaporated salts and minerals cleaned off of my hood with some lime away. we have really hard water here, so when it evaporated there is a lot of **** that gets left behind...and on top of that, the PC bulb is eleventy billion (thanks french stewart) times hotter than the coralife 20w....

heat and salts...it was smelling like B.O.

it looks so good with the 55 over it though! the 20 looks so drab and dark... :?

UPDATE TIME!! WHEE!!

Everything is looking great. The lights are up and ready, but I'm only running one set right now. One of my bulbs got backordered. For now I've placed an extra 32 watt 48in strip with reflector across the front as a little backup.

Everything has worked out great, I'll get photos once some of the plants recover from the crap lighting and conditions at the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom