Presence's Battle Against Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Salting for Ich: Need DEFINITIVE Dose

See my other post regarding Ich. Anyway I am getting ready to salt the tank and I have found different instructions on how much salt to use. Some say one TEAspoon per gallon. Some say one TABLEspoon per gallon. Big difference! So what's the right (or closest to right) dose?

Well, here we go. This topic is more for me than anything, to serve as a daily log of events (though anyone is welcome to comment and add advice).

Tank parameters:
Temp: 76F
pH: 8.25
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 7.5ppm

I have ordered the heater to take it up to 82F. This could take a bit given the size of the tank. I am awaiting an answer(s) on the dose of salt to use before adding any. 5% water change to be performed once I hit Submit. ALL fish seem to be healthy and acting normal. The betta, angelfish and harlequins show no outward signs of Ich; all the tetras and clown loaches show a few spots.

I removed the carbon from the filter although I am not sure this is necessary even if adding salt to the water. Would appreciate advice on this. Also, would Zeolite (a combination carbon with ammonia remover) be a good choice?

Tank temperature is now 78F. Full dose of Rid-Ich applied. Lights out - let's hope all is well in the morning.

Found another article on how to treat for Ich. It, along with the message board at their site, seems to go against everything I have read here.
http://www.aquamaniacs.net/ich.html

Be careful about using meds with your tetras and especially the clown loaches. Medicines containing malachite green are dangerous for them. To do the salt and heat method, you should get the temperature to at least 86 degrees. Do this gradually over a few days. 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons is also what is usually recommended, although i've seen others recommend even more than that. If you decide to try more, I would proceed with caution. Maybe somebody else here can help you out with that.

Good luck with your loaches...it can be a real bear trying to rid them of ich.

The topics were merged to prevent confusion.

I read through the article and will say that there are MANY ways to treat ich. We caution members to increase the agitation of the water's surface to incease the amount of oxygen that is dissolved in the water.
Personally, I have found RidIch to be ineffective and I have used the salt and heat method numerous times.
One tablespoon per 5 gallons will help rid the tank of ich.

Tank parameters:
Temp: 82F
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5.0ppm

No Ich-related casualties to report. All fish appear to be normal and acting fine. Still no signs of Ich on the fish who had none previously (also the rainbow shark or zebras have none). The tetras, the black neons in particular, appear to have more.

10% water change performed and ordered the thermostat to 86F. Full dose of Rid-Ich applied. Bumped up the airstones.

Temperature of 86F achieved. The fish continue to act normal. The Ich does not appear to be any better yet.

Is the use of salt absolutely necessary when using the heat method, or just a alternative treatment? I mean, if the heat kills Ich, why the salt?

85% dose of Rid-Ich given, no water change preceding it. All the fish are acting normal, even a bit more active, and hungry as ever. No change in the "who has Ich, who doesn't" category, and the Ich lesions appear to have lessened somewhat. Water stats to come...

Back
Top Bottom