Pressurized co2 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathey6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been researching this for quite a while and I have decided that I will get a Milwaukee MA957. But I would like to know what diffuser to use. And I wanted to know if I should get a 5 lb or 10 lb tank and how long they will last at 1 bubble per second. Right low, I have a 10 gallon tank, but this summer, I will be upgrading to a 55 gallon so will this system be ok for both tanks? will I have to do more than 1 bubble per second if it is in a 55 gallon? Also, where do I fill the tank up? Will a paintball place do it, or do I need to go to a special place? Thanks!

by the way, it has a built-in solenoid so it will only run for about 10 hours a day.

Last edited:
Not sure if they are national but look for a company called AirGas or Boggs Gases. Call your local welding shop and ask them where a good place to get the tank filled would be. A paintball shop might be able to do it but it would cost you much more than getting it from a big gas company instead.

I got a 20lb tank and it was about $26 to swap/fill up at Air Gas.

I still haven't figured out bps for my 150g..I should probably get on that

I have the Milwaukee regulator on a 5 lb tank with a nano glass diffuser. I run it 24/7 right now because my check valve broke so it needs constant pressure until I get another. I filled my 5 lb tank jan 13 and the gauge has barely gone down. It seems like this is full is going to last a long time!

The MA957 has a built in check valve on the bubble counter, if you got the bubble counter with it. I didn't have a check valve on mine the majority of the time it was running.

I used a DIY inline reactor hooked to my canister. I really liked that it provided 100% diffusion, and no bubbles entered the tank.

Whatever you do never let them swap your cylinder. If you buy a nice new one for yourself you do not want one of the ugly painted rusty husks they will swap you. The guy at my local AirGas would only swap so I laughed at him and went to Boggs (where he gets his filled). Write your name and phone number on it with a Sharpy (or better yet use paint) to keep them from even asking you if you want to swap. Not sure if they will fill a cylinder that has been etched or I would etch my info into it.
And don't rent a cylinder from them either. It's cheaper to buy your own new one and it looks a lot better.

+1 on the DIY inline reactor. Cheap and very easy to build and works flawlessly.

Google is your friend. Just search "DIY inline co2 reactor".

Here's what I used:
2" PVC, length of 14",
Two 30deg elbows,
Two end caps with one inch threaded holes,
Two 3/4" barbs,
One 2" PVC shower drain screen,
Twenty 1" bio balls.

Goes together like so top to bottom:
Barb - end cap - elbow - pipe - bio balls - shower screen - elbow - end cap - barb.

The screen is to keep the bio balls from slipping into the bottom outlet and plugging it up and stopping the flow. Build from bottom up as you must drill a small hole in the pipe about two inches from the top to pull your CO2 line through.

mfdrookie516 said:
The MA957 has a built in check valve on the bubble counter, if you got the bubble counter with it. I didn't have a check valve on mine the majority of the time it was running.

I used a DIY inline reactor hooked to my canister. I really liked that it provided 100% diffusion, and no bubbles entered the tank.

I had nooo idea about that! Sweet! Now I can put my co2 on a timer with out worrying haha.

Sorry, I'm kind of a noob, but I don't see the point of a reactor, or how it works.

Sorry, I'm kind of a noob, but I don't see the point of a reactor, or how it works.

It's just there to thoroughly break down the co2 bubbles so they don't make it to the surface and pop.

With a reactor you get 100% dissolved.

My DIY inline reactor works great

Back
Top Bottom