Preventing Aquarium Leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoboSpider

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I'm setting up my first aquarium and bought a dedicated metal stand for it. However, I'm still leery about adding water since the first aquarium I bought had a crack in it. Its only a 10 gallon but I've been scouring the internet looking for ways to minimize or prevent leakage. I'm making it as level as possible but has anyone tried any of these:

• Putting a tray or reservoir under the aquarium stand to catch some of the water from a leak, should one develop
  • Water sensors with alarms linked to phone
  • Using sealant or something to shore up existing seams on the aquarium

If anyone knows if any of these are useful, I'd love to know.
Thanks!
:fish2:

One thing to do is test the aquarium for leaks now. Put it outside and just fill it up. Let sit for about a week. If no leaks you are good to go. A water alarm is good. Just place it under the aquarium and it should work just fine. My canister is sitting in a shallow 3/4" pan with a water alarm.

Thanks, I appreciate the information on the canister placement, I'll do that too. I'm in an apartment, however, and can't test it outside. I'm on the third floor, so I'm a bit paranoid about the water thing. I didn't think a crack could appear so quickly the first time I tried.

Silicone is not good about sticking to silicone. That being said, on some old aquariums I've bought i completely resealed, and others I ran a wider bead over the old seal. And heavier on the bottom and at the corners where it wasn't visible anyway. If you add silicone, use silicone 1. GE makes some and it's pretty cheap at the hardware store

Thanks, I appreciate the information on the canister placement, I'll do that too. I'm in an apartment, however, and can't test it outside. I'm on the third floor, so I'm a bit paranoid about the water thing. I didn't think a crack could appear so quickly the first time I tried.
Make sure your apartment allows you to have an aquarium. Make sure your renters insurance will cover damages (you and others below) that you caused if the tank leaks.

This is ex post facto advice, but that's why I love acrylic tanks. I've had 18 of them for years and never had a leak or crack. Also easier to carry up three floors.

This is ex post facto advice, but that's why I love acrylic tanks. I've had 18 of them for years and never had a leak or crack. Also easier to carry up three floors.
Yeah, I just got my first acrylic tank last month, 150g, and I knew it was lighter, but I couldn't believe how MUCH lighter. Crazy

Back
Top Bottom