price limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you have price limits on certain fish?
I certainly do. I went to 5 pet stores today and only got some baby white clouds. I won't pay over $1 for tetras (unless exceptionally hard to find), barbs, livebearers, danios or other minnows, hatchets and a few more typical tropicals. I don't mind paying $100 for a show quality goldfish. I guess I'm just used to tropicals being 3 for $1 to 4or $5. Only one store near us prices fish resonably. Other stores charge a few dollars for a neon tetra or a danio. Would you pay that?

There aren't any stores that price any tetras or danios for less than a buck. The exceptions are neon's and zebra danios which you can get a dozen for a few bucks. Clown loaches are priced anywhere from 5 to 10 dollars for the same size loach depending on the size. At one LFS you can get angels(about the size of a dime) for a buck and a half a piece though. I wouldn't pay 100 for a goldfish IMO. There is a LFS(which is extremely overpriced as it is and the owners are pains in the butt to deal with) that has 6" arowanas for 100 dollars :eek: I personally prefer the 2 smaller LFS's compared to 1 larger one and another small one. The 2 I purchase supplies and fish at are just more knowledgable and nicer to deal with, as well as decent prices(relative to other shops). There is a petsmart being built...estimated time of completion: june

Most I've spent on a single fish/invert was $10 on a GBR.

Even that hurt to do.

I'm still at the cycling stage with my tank but I've been checking out LFS prices for fish and I was a little taken aback by what they're asking for plecos.

Common plecos are about $10 which seems reasonable but I don't have room for a common. The less well-known species all run from $30-$70 which seems high for me. But at the same time I love plecos and really want one eventually. I'll probably shell out the cash for a clown or possibly a zebra (though the zebra was the most expensive at something like $75). Yikes!

I understand. I'm a college student, buying a 10 gal and all the accessories is quite expensive (especially since I don't have a job). I saw bamboo shrimp at Petsmart the one day and I loved them, but $12? It wasn't did I want to pay that much, I didn't have that much to spare, but my room mate bought it under the conditions she could name it. It's name is cobbles. (long story).

zebra plecos in florida are pretty cheap seen them in 2 pet shops so far 35.00 almost bought one but i wont pay that much for any kind of fish thats just me . i have over 32 tetras now and 5 danios 2 cheery barbs and iv only payed maybe 40 to 50 for all of them fish so i cant see paying 35 for one fish

I have never seen any fish other than feeders for 1$ or less. For 1 buck I could maybe get a handful of ghost shrimp but that's about it...

Neons are the cheapest at 1.29-1.99 depending on size, but I can't really get many other fish for less than about 5 bucks each.

Most expensive in the tank are the upside-down cats which were I think 14 bucks each (too bad I never see them....). GBRs were 12 or 13 and the BN pleco somewhere around the same.

If you see Zebra Plecos for $35, they aren't true Zebra's.

Either that or the store owner is just oblivious to the fact that they are very expensive.

In winnipeg manitoba canada, I haven't seen an actual fish other then feeders for less then 1$ for a neon tetra at pettraders. It depends what you're talking about. For cichlids, I get em young and won't pay more then 10-15$ depending on the species. For community fish, I don't go over 5$ but that's cause I hardly get any. 10$ for a clown loach is all Ill pay.

Discus I will pay up to $50 for juvies, larger discus would be higher if I was to get them as adults. I paid $60 for my gold nugget pleco. Some fish are rather rare around here so I have made friends with lots of breeders. For example, GBR's in the lfs are $15 each, I got 6 for $20. No fish other than feeders here are less than $1.

Wow, 75 is cheap for a zebra? Cool. I'm still very new to all this and didn't know I had it so good.

Thanks guys for clueing me in on a deal. I'm still not sure I'm going to go with a fish that expensive but it's nice to know my LFS (Skipton Pets in Boston for those of you who are curious) is reasonably priced. Though now I'm wondering if I am remembering correctly/read the price right. I'll have to go back and check it out.

Zebra plecs in the wild are threatened (or endangered or both). If they were true zebras, I myself would save up and get a few. I'd set up a species only tank and try to produce as many as possible. It'd be nice to have a good amount of tank raised supply in the world so the species might survive a bit longer in the wild.

Brazil banned the export of Zebra Plecos a few years ago. The ones you find in the states were either here before the ban, were smuggled illegally, or tank bred. That's why they are so expensive. I'd take a picture of the pleco and make sure it is a real zebra pleco. A lfs once tried to sell me a fake one claiming that it was a Zebra. The stripes were not uniform and straight.

The 3-4 years I have been into aquariums, I had a limit of $50 or less for one fish. In the past I have only spent $50 three times, luckily only one of those fish died. I had this rule for myself to keep my buying in check. About a week and a half ago I broke this rule and spent a whole $59 on one fish, I think this might be the begining of the end, but I'm trying to keep my new limit to $60 or less per fish. I know if I don't set this limit, I'd be buying too many fish that I couldn't house properly and eventually end up buy an Asian Arowana, they cost anywhere from $500 to $2K-$5K for a single 5-7inch little guy. Luckily the legality of owning one along with the cost keeps me in check. $60 it is, lets see how long I can keep this as my limit, hopefully for another 3 or 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom