Prime question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I took everyones advise and bought some Prime and used it. I did want to make sure that my test kit was correct in saying that products like Prime will lock up the ammonia nitrites etc and make them harmless even though the tests will still come up with mega amounts (thanks City of Dallas). Is this true? Do I just have to trust that I'm dosing correctly, the stuff is working, and not worry what the tests say on Prime treated water? :-? I don't know if I have that much faith and yet it seems I will have to develop some (thanks again City of Dallas).

I thought your tank was cycled?

Are you adding prime as part of a regular water change, chlorine removal? Or are you using it because you are showing signs of ammonia and nitrites still?

If you are using it as a regular dechlorinator, it doesn't hurt to add an extra drop or two just to be on the safe side.

If you are doing it because ammonia and nitrites are high, I think you are supposed use 2x the recommended dose.

Ammonia and nitrites will still show even if you've used prime to treat the water and make the substances less toxic.

The water around here is at like 2 ppm for ammonia. I had to get water bottled out of state for my Beta when he was in his temporary abode. I didn't want to take any chances with either chlorine or ammonia (I haven't even tested the tap water for nitrates, but it tested positive for nitrites too) killing or stressing out the fish during PWCs of any size. My tank had finihed cycling then I did a 50ish% pwc and cause yhe water here is so bad, my numbers jumped back up immediately. I figure this is just something I'll have to deal with any time I do a significantly large PWC.

Last edited:
You pretty much have to trust that Prime is working correctly. However your fish will let you know if there are any problems. Just keep a close eye on them, and you'll have your confirmation that it was treated properly. Also as your bio filter matures, it will reach a point where it can handle the slight influx of Ammonia from the water change rather rapidly.

I agree with Purrbox. The filter should very easily be capable of handling the small amounts of ammonia in the tap water. If the filter is fully cycled, after just a few hours it should be completely gone. I only rely on the Prime to dechlorinate. The other things (ammonia and Nitrites) are completely taken care of by the filter.

Lots of live plants will soak up the ammonia in no time at all. Good protection when you live in an area with bad water.

Back
Top Bottom