Pristella maxillaris (xray tetra fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossd34234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello to anyone out there to help:

My xray tetra fish seems to only be swimming with its nose in the air, constantly batting its tail to straighten itself out. There are no visible signs of infection or broken appendages/fins. It's almost like it's a reverse-swim bladder disorder where my fish's tail seems to sink. She/He has no problems swimming to the surface and back; doesn't seem exhausted at all, but is constantly moving to upright its tail.

Anyone know any possibles?

My freshwater tank is 20-gallons, ~70 degrees, pH is ~7.0, there is another xray tetra (slightly smaller, no problems) and two other very active danios. I add freshwater aquarium-salt every now and then as well.

Thanks.

Let's get a bit more tank info.

1. Did you cycle the tank?

2. Do you have a test kit? If so, what type is it and what are your water parameters?

3. What else is in the tank?

4. Have you done anything to the tank recently?

Swim bladder disease can go either way. If the fish is eating you could try some thawed deshelled peas to ease the impaction of food. Those should be te only food that should be fed for a few days(fasting the fish may also relieve the blockage). Epsom salt can be added slowly to at 1tbls per 5gal. This can also be a result of bacteria infection and therefore should be treated with a antibiotic like Tetracycline. Keep up with the water changes and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom