Problem with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drruth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 240l aquarium with 2 jewel cichlids. They share the tank with gourami, tetras, plec, clown loach and panda corys. I noticed recently one of the cichlids had started hiding behind the filter and the other frequently chased this one. I know I either have to add more cichlids or separate them into multiple tanks. I have a 100l tank, not presently in use, but it’s not big enough for another shoal of cichlids, and I don’t really want to move the community, which seems very settled (I have been building the community for 2.5 years). I am assuming the cichlids haven’t paired, hence the problems I’m now noticing. The cichlids are now a good 5 inches and beautiful jewel cichlids. Any ideas on what I should do. ( I have got caves, driftwood and some plants in the tank).

You most likely have two male Jewels. Unless an XL tank is provided things probably won't get any better. Might try rearranging the hardscape or add more substantial hardscape. Doing so will create areas for new territories & retreats.

I did wonder about putting in more hard scape, so I put the caves in at the opposite end of tank to the wood. However it hasn’t helped much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 30
The tank looks really good. Probably best to rehome the subordinate Jewel.

Problem with Cichlids

Shame, it seemed a good community until recently. But I suspect you are right! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom