Problem with cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob112233

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello everyone im having a minor problem with cloudy water. I have a 120 gal tank and recently purchaes a rena filstar xp3 canister filter http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3602&N=2004+22777
i was having trouble with algea in my tank and as soon as i install my new filter within days the problem was solved. a few weeks later the tank started to get white merk in it. i can still see the fish fine and they dont seem to be bothered but i would like to try and get rid of it. the filter came with this media FilStar Foam, Micro-Filtration Pad, and Bio-Chem Zorb and i place 3 foams in the bottom basket and the other 2 in the top basket (nothing in the middle one so far i want to get ceramic rings). I do weekly water changes of about 10 to 12% and here is the results of the testing i have done

No2 =0.3mg/l
gh/kh =3
Ph = 8
NH3/Nh4 =0
i use a tetra test laborett test kit

i have cleaned the filters twice so far in the last month or so because i seem to lose water presure. my tank temp is about 76 deg f, and i use tap water for tank changes. if anyone has any ideas or needs any more info please post

You probably have bacteria blooming in your tank...Check your Ammonia I bet it will be high....If so start doing water changes with a product called Prime...I wouldn't clean your filter for a while it need to bacteria....You probably got over zealous as I did a couple of weeks ago and did to much cleaning and changing. Good Luck...My tank is just getting back in order from this type of thing....I had to learn some real patience.

The ammonia reading is 0.

The cloudiness is most likely just a bacterial bloom. Don't worry about it, it's normal in a new tank. Cut back on filter cleanings to once a month or so. How did you cycle your tank?

the tank has been going for about a year now but the 2 things that are new are the filter and the gravel at the bottom of the tank i used to have sand but didnt like it so replaced it with gravel

When you changed the filter AND the gravel, you lost most if not all of your bacteria.
Keeping the old media from the old fitler and using it in the new one would have helped. Also some of the old gravel could have been been put in a stocking that could have been kept in the tank without mixing it in with the new color/style of substrate.
Another thing and probably would have been the best would have been to run the new filter along side of the old for about a month or so.
Hind sight is full of couldas and wouldas. The bloom should last a week or two imo. Unless your ammonia rises i wouldn't change anything until the second week and do a pwc then. If the ammonia does rise then change the water as needed.

Back
Top Bottom