Problem with Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kmv16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've had 4 gold fish the first 2 died within 3 days the latest 2 one died in a matter of hours and the other one is at deaths door! The first 2 the tank didn't have an air pump and I believe I added too much tapsafe the latest two were held in a finding nemo tank complete with air pump bought from pets at home in which i followed the instructions on the box however I didn't add tapsafe because I was unsure how much to add! Why are my fish dying? What should I be using and how? Obviously I'm a beginner are there any guides to follow?

More info will help us answer you...
How big is the original tank you had the fish in?
Can you post a pic of the fish so we can tell what type of goldfish? Or do you know what type you have?
Definitely use a water conditioner before putting the fish in it--it neutralizes chlorine & heavy metals in tap water that will harm the fish. Seachem's Prime will even neutralize Ammonia from tap water. Make sure the water is brought to the same temp as the water the fish are currently in or it will shock them. I leave the water in jugs next to the tank ready for the next water change. And sometimes, water differences between the water the fish were in to the water you have can cause problems so when you change water sources, you should slowly acclimate them.

Hopefully someone w/ more expertise will chime in!! Good luck!!

Hi and welcome to AA!!! Yes, we need some more information in order to be able to help! Goldfish need filtration, aeration, and AMPLE amounts of water. I suspect this nemo tank may be quite small (1 or 5g) and your fish did not survive due to ammonia poisoning. Please read the link below- it covers all of the freshwater basics and has links to both fish-in and fishless cycling. Please ask any questions you may have!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I had the exact same thing happen to me :ermm:
We bought the toy story 3 tank followed the instructions and went back 3 days later for the fish (2 orandas) both died within 24 hours :(
What pets at home neglect to tell you is that a 17 litre tank is way to small for one goldfish let alone 2! They also dont tell you anything about cycling a tank! I phoned up the head office in my area and made a huge complaint after i had done some research about goldfish and there requierments, they gave me a full refund for everything and even took the tank back.
The tapsafe has instructions on the back for how much to add although they are very basic, but it should always be used to remove the minerals from tapwater that are harmful to fish.

Kmv16 said:
So I've had 4 gold fish the first 2 died within 3 days the latest 2 one died in a matter of hours and the other one is at deaths door! The first 2 the tank didn't have an air pump and I believe I added too much tapsafe the latest two were held in a finding nemo tank complete with air pump bought from pets at home in which i followed the instructions on the box however I didn't add tapsafe because I was unsure how much to add! Why are my fish dying? What should I be using and how? Obviously I'm a beginner are there any guides to follow?

How big was the first tank? The two in the finding nemo tank probably died because you didn't use the water conditioner-(chlorine is harmful to fish) also the finding nemo tank is only about 17 litres which is way too small for any type of goldfish. Pets at home are very lax with their advice. I'd recommend going to a small local fish store, or if you have one near you, a maidenhead aquatics store for advice, the staff at my local maidenhead aquatics are very knowledgeable and helpful. I'd also advise reading up on cycling an aquarium before you buy any more fish. Read the link jlk posted. If you have any more problems or questions ask here, I've found this site extremely helpful in setting up my aquarium and I'm sure you will too :)

Definitely sounds like issues with tank size and the tanks in question not being cycled. Don't get discouraged both are an easy fix but, your gonna need a much bigger tank.

Hii everyone I honestly don't think the tanks too small? But here's a picture anyway! Thanks for all the advice what de-chlorinate would people recommend?? Thanks anyway

Attachments

• image-1588227967.jpg
    image-1588227967.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 92
Kmv16 said:
Hii everyone I honestly don't think the tanks too small? But here's a picture anyway! Thanks for all the advice what de-chlorinate would people recommend?? Thanks anyway

Prime is really good. Gold fish have huge bioloads even when small they just poop. Your tank wasnt cycled you obviously did a fish in cycle. But like I said the goldfish pooped away causing too much ammonia for the uncycled tank to convert and the fish killed its self pretty much.

Buy a 20g tank cycle it then add one goldy he'll be happy!!

What is a cycle? What does it involve (sorry I'm still very new to this stuff)

Kmv16 said:
What is a cycle? What does it involve (sorry I'm still very new to this stuff)

In basic terms when you have fish in a tank their waste and any un-eaten food will cause ammonia to build up in the tank. Ammonia is toxic and harmful to fish. A type of bacteria will start to grow in your filter media that will eat the ammonia. Unfortunately this type of bacteria give off nitrites which is also toxic and harmful to fish. Another type of bacteria will grow that will eat the nitrites. These bacteria give off nitrates but those aren't as bad for fish.

Cycling a tank is allowing the two types of bacteria to grow so that the water is safe for fish.

I'm new to this too and the wonderful people you will meet on this forum will help you if you follow their advise. They have been a big help to me. Especially JLK. Her word is gospel when it comes to goldfish. She will steer you in right direction.

Reactions: jlk
Ok, heres the bad news- your tank is only 22l or 6 gallons. The only fish suitable for this size tank would be a single betta, some shrimp/snails or maybe a few nano fish. Its simply not suitable for any goldfish because its too small.

jlk said:
Ok, heres the bad news- your tank is only 22l or 6 gallons. The only fish suitable for this size tank would be a single betta, some shrimp/snails or maybe a few nano fish. Its simply not suitable for any goldfish because its too small.

I've made a complaint to pets at home for their lousy and misinformation

Good for you. They should be held accountable.

You've already been given great advice, and must-read links. Good luck!

Good luck w/ your tank! I'm bummed about info I've received from my LFS but I'm so grateful to have found this site! Life is all about learnin' lessons... W/out our experiences, good & bad, what would we have? Wish I had've gotten a bigger tank & bought it used insteada spendin' an arm & a leg on a 15 gal but I'll play w/ this a bit & go from there--maybe pass my tank & knowledge (w/ a cycled filter :wink: ) to a newbie so they don't make the same mistakes!

Let us know what response you get from Pets at Home! Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom