Problem with nitrate and nitrite.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having a problem with my 6gal aqu. Its been up and running for about 3 months now stocked with fish. I've never had any problems with the nitrate or notrite levels till a few days ago. Both are way high. nitrate about 80 and nitrite 15-20. I have been doing 30% water changes daily and its not helped at all. A few weeks ago I put come corral into the tank and am wondering if this may be causing it. Thank you for any help!

coral is usaly not used in freshwater tanks, i raises your ph (unless that is what you want)

what kind of test do you use? dip strips, drops in a test tube?

how old is it? they go bad after a while and you will not give good reading. if you test kit is more then a year old you might want to buy a new one.

can you take a sample of water into you lfs? most lfs will do a water test for free!

what does you ammonia look like?

how much do you feed your fish?

what kind and how many fish do you have in the tank?

Coral is fine in a freshwater tank and is commonly used to increase the pH and hardness. Many people use it. Were you having a problem with low levels? Did you use crushed coral?

JDogg pretty much asked all the questions that need to be answered. With a Nitrite reading of that high the fish would be dead. Are you sure it isn't 1.5?

they are just test strips ( prob need to get a good kit.) I have a sword, 3 tetras and a coby cat. Tha strips are about 3 months old. Guess I need to head to the lfs for a good test. The coral was a dec. piece I picked up while at the caost on vacation.

If it is the strips, get a new kit. I wouldn't rely on them. Was the coral found on the beach or at a lfs? How did you clean it before adding it to the tank?

another thing I have found that effects these test slightly is testing right after a water change, I usually wait 24- 48 hours nad then test, gives the new water a chance to "settle "

An hour or two is enough time to let the tank recirculate. During that time the tank has turned over between 10 to 20 times.

Back
Top Bottom