Problem with Panther crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a panther crab in my 29 gallon for the past month and ever since I got it I've been having fish disappear. Just yesterday I caught my crab in the act eating a sail fin Molly I had just added to the tank. Now I'm faced with the decision either to trade the crab in at my LFS for something else or find a home for it in one of my other tanks. The other tank I have is a 20g long and houses one large albino clawed frog. I'd love to keep this crab but I want to do what's in the best interest of my fish. What should I do here? Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Crabs are omnivores and opportunists. They will eat what they can get.

I don't know much about crustaceans but if it gets bigger than, say, 2-4 inches across the back, then it might be too big to keep in the tank with other small fish.

Personally i would keep the crap and change out the fish for a top dweller like a Golden Wonder Killifish as well as a few fast, larger Tetra (Silvertip would be nice) throw in a ton of hiding places and call it a day.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Crabs are omnivores and opportunists. They will eat what they can get.

I don't know much about crustaceans but if it gets bigger than, say, 2-4 inches across the back, then it might be too big to keep in the tank with other small fish.

Personally i would keep the crap and change out the fish for a top dweller like a Golden Wonder Killifish as well as a few fast, larger Tetra (Silvertip would be nice) throw in a ton of hiding places and call it a day.

I don't think fish are an option anymore with the crab. He seems to go after anything he can fit it his mouth. I was thinking about moving him in with the frog but I'm afraid he'll still try something though the frog is larger.

I used to have some silvertips but like most things in with the crab they eventually went MIA.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They frog is soft and squishy can cannot defend itself against the sharp carb claws. It will be hurt if not killed.

Some fish that are large and live at the top should be ok.

I've kept panther crabs before and hope to breed them soon.

I agree that if you trade to get some surface dwellers, but the crab will try to eat anything it can catch and fit in its mouth. Thing is, most fish are most vulnerable at night while resting near the substrate and that's exactly the time most crabs are most active.

I believe this to be the reason most recommend keeping crabs separate from fish. Unless you have surface dwelling fish, it's not a bad idea. However, I'm not sure if even the surface dwellers will rest near enough for the crab to catch them.

Panther crabs do grow up to 3 inches across the carapace (shell), but from experience yours is probably a bit over an inch at tops, unless they're sourced from some less common 2 inch specimens. Point is, unless your frog is large (at least 3 inches, if not more), I wouldn't try it. However, due to the activity and nature of the frog, well, if you value your frog don't.

Hope this helps!

PS, if you would like, I may be able to take the crab off your hands in a few weeks :p would need to set up an aquarium for the crab tho, that's why it'd take a few weeks.

Realistically, though, if you like the crab, try trading the fish and getting some surface dwellers. If not, well, trade in the crab for something else

Back
Top Bottom