Problem with Powerheads, Penguin 660 in particular

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have any one of you guys experienced problem with powerhead where when you power down one, it does not come back up? I have Penguin 660 driving my wet-dry filter and every time I do more than 20% water change, I shut down everything. When I fill back up and turn the power back on, the PH does not come up, I have to disassemble it, and assemble it back up, and only then it does. Have no idea what could be causing this. The impeller is always clean, prefilter is clean, everything is tip top. Very annoying. Anyone had that problem?

Yes I have had the exact same deal on a 550 and I have also had a 550 that completely died, never to spin again.

It's almost as though they get so weak it can hardly start itself and then you have to make it so perfectly smooth and clean that it will start.

It is definitely odd that you would have to take it apart and put it back together to get it working. Is it perfectly clean when you take it apart? Worn impeller maybe? Oddly enough, when I had a Marineland HOT Magnum, taking it apart and putting it back together was something I had to do frequently to get it working :roll:

You can always call Marineland and let them know, they are good at sending out replacements :)

Yes, it is definitely clean. It is new too, and I had to do it every single time. It feels like that the water from the wet-try drains when power is off and PH has to pump it back up. I have do disconnect it from the hose, take prefilter off, then turn it on, wait till it starts and then connect everything back together. What a pain in the butt.
I will call Marineland tomorrow, what a great idea. :D

I've had trouble with Penguin powerheads in the past. They always worked great for a while and then I had trouble with them as they started to age a little. IME, the Maxi Jet powerheads are the best available at a decent price. I have an old MJ1000 that is so worn it sounds like its pumping rocks instead of water, yet it always starts and runs. Since your Penguin is new, I'd say Marineland should replace it. All the Penguins I had ran fine for a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom