Problems Cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yah if you put in time into your fish tank it'll end up really nice. I just don't recommend alot of catfish. Expesaly redtails!!!

Relentless said:
With a new tank you don't want to do water changes that much. You want bacteria to build up and make your fish healthy. Also doing water changes that much can tend to bring the ammonia levels up. There's just alot of ammonia in water.

Where in the world did you hear any of that?

All due respect, but please research the nitrogen cycle and how it applies to aquariums before stating advice like that. Here's a couple articles to check out-
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Part of being a fish-keeper is being responsible for the animals in your care and looking after their well-being. The advise to not do water changes when there are high levels of toxins is the opposite of that. While some water sources will contain small amounts of ammonia (from chloramines), that is an issue easily dealt with by using a quality dechlorinator.

Last edited:
Relentless said:
I never really cycled a tank I usually just took water out of my bros tank half and half.

Not trying to pick on you...but there are serious flaws in that statement as well. Beneficial bacteria are surface adheres which reside in well oxygenated areas such as filter media. There is virtually no nitrifying bacteria in the actual water column. So, adding water from an established tank will do virtually nothing to help establish a bio-filter. I hope you'll do a bit more research for the sake of your own fish as well as the advice you're giving to others.

K think I've set up my signature to properly display my tanks.

I never said not to do water changes when the toxins are high. My tank is perfectly healthy I never had a fish die on me because of the water conditions. Also do you believe every thing you find. I been dealing with fish my whole life so I know what im talking about get your facts right.

Relentless said:
I never said not to do water changes when the toxins are high. My tank is perfectly healthy I never had a fish die on me because of the water conditions. Also do you believe every thing you find. I been dealing with fish my whole life so I know what im talking about get your facts right.

The statements you made speak for themselves...it's not even worth debate. Do a bit of research, learn about the flaws in the advice you are sharing...then we can talk. My facts are not based only on experience...but also science and research.

The drama here is not worth addressing. You may quickly find that behavior like that is not tolerated on AA (nor should it be).

And PAX, you've got a good game plan and seem dedicated to keeping your fish healthy. Just get the toxins down ASAP, keep up the testing, continue with the water changes, simply match the temperature the best you can from the tap to your tank...and all will be well.

Make sure you keep us updated on your progress :)

Eco helped me out with my tank as well. It's running great and all fully cycled. +1 on his advice

Read through the articles fully, don't just skip through them.

Relentless said:
With a new tank you don't want to do water changes that much. You want bacteria to build up and make your fish healthy. Also doing water changes that much can tend to bring the ammonia levels up. There's just alot of ammonia in water.

Ammonia means poison. Not doing major water changes will more than likely result in death of fish. +1 to eco for being dead on this whole time. I have plenty of experience with ammonia levels being to high (listened to lfs) and my fish dying. They said dont change water, instead add ammonia cleanser or something of that sort and boom. All 4 silvertip sharks they recommended for my 10g died

PAXpress said:
I don't so much mind it. Almost "relaxing" in a way. Better than most other household chores.

I prefer cleaning my tank to doing any other chores, and I have a 55g and have to carry 5g buckets :) lmbo :)

The drama here is not worth addressing. You may quickly find that behavior like that is not tolerated on AA (nor should it be).

And PAX, you've got a good game plan and seem dedicated to keeping your fish healthy. Just get the toxins down ASAP, keep up the testing, continue with the water changes, simply match the temperature the best you can from the tap to your tank...and all will be well.

Make sure you keep us updated on your progress :)

Heres your update: The tank I was having issues with has been staying below .25 ppm of ammonia! These past few days my fish seem to be more active and healthy! Ive been keeping up with water changes 10-20% just to be sure, but so far without even doing a water change it really seems as if my biological filter has been keeping the levels in check. Durring my problems a few weeks ago I spent a bit of money on some useless things (the zeo-lite) and some things that I think will help keep my tank pristine once the cycle has finished. I used to just have 1 Aquaclear 70 on the tank (its a 50 gallon for those too lazy to go read first post), several weeks ago I bought a 20-40g rated Tetra filter (figured it'd be better to over filter than underfilter). Also for the Aquaclear (for those not familiar it comes with a "cartridge type holder" for 3 different types of media, a sponge a carbon baggie and a baggie of ceramic media with surface area for the biological filter to grow on think its called biomax) I had bought a 2nd thing of the Biomax Ceramic media and put that in with the rest of it so I would have more surface area for the biological filter. Also another thing I bought that I dont feel like I wasted my money on was the Ammo-lock which is most likely what saved ALL of my fish's lives ESPECIALLY the Otocinclus. I have another question for anyone who has the patience to read through this long ol' post of boredom, how many more Angelfish would be safe to put in this tank? Its well planted which gives great hiding spots. I do realize that the pleco will outgrow the tank and cause problems in the future but I plan on finding him a bigger/better home before things get crowded. Would 5 Angels be too many?
Edit: For anyone curious on how my ammonia levels got so out of control, I had a large amount of java moss which was in a different tank that I had to medicate for ick which (I believe) caused a majority of the moss to turn brown and die. It started to turn brown in places but I thought I could revive it by putting it in the tank with more lighting. I'm not 100% it was the meds that killed the moss but I can't honestly think of what else. The tips of it were still green and I plucked them off and they are growing into their own beards again. Anyways the dieing moss was most likely part of the problem, including the fact that I went out of town for a week and the moss just got worse, that and the lack of water changes for a week straight (As well as me thinking that the Ammo-lock would cure my ammonia problems over time).

Sorry for how poorly written this post is... too much punctuation and run on sentences but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom