Problems with corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know Dennis210 said to remove it after established. That seems like a lot of disruption to the established tank. Is it better to not have it to start.

WOW, nice laid out plan Dennis210. I can follow this plan to the T. BTW, I do not have bio balls, I do already have rock rubble in the Wet Dry system.

I changed the skimmer overflow to go into a 1 gal milk container. Took all glass tank lids off. I will be visiting my LFS tonight to get the RO water for the water change.

While everyone works on your water quality issues, I am still going to ask again what types of corals you were trying to keep as I still think lighting is part of the problem.

Mid way on the first page...

I have tried the pulsing zenia (seems to melt away within 3 weeks)
leather
some coral cups
Other coral that I cant remember the names both soft and hard.

Not a real good list to know exactly what the corals were, but a start.

CC is gone!! Thanks for the timely advice. I guess I will use it in the bottom of my plants:}

I thought of one more question about CC. Since I know it is good for the CA level, should there be a little in the refugium?

I am placing my substrate today. I planned on a thin layer of cc then aragonite then aragonite live sand. I don't want these problems Obmanta is having should I forgo the cc?
While there are people that have success with crushed coral. I have found that about 9 out of 10 people are against its use in a saltwater aquarium. I tend to lean with the majority on MOST things. As there is usually a reason things are done a certain way. Thats where the research part comes in

I guess you could if you want to, though I doubt it's needed. So long as you keep up to date on water changes, Ca levels should stay ideal. Unless of course, you have a LOT of sps corals that will absorb all of your Ca.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
And this behaviour is different from natural sedimentation in oolitic sand beds?...

Although we attempt to recreate a "natural" environment in our tanks, they are anything but. There is a whole lot more water in the ocean to dilute things than in our tanks, so detritus getting stuck in gravel like substrate in the ocean really isn't a big deal.

I think the whole point is to avoid crushed coral in tanks due to the fact that it tends to trap debris in nooks and crannies that are hard to get to versus a sand bed which is easier to maintain through vacuuming and an appropriate cleanup crew.

Although we attempt to recreate a "natural" environment in our tanks, they are anything but. There is a whole lot more water in the ocean to dilute things than in our tanks, so detritus getting stuck in gravel like substrate in the ocean really isn't a big deal.

I think the whole point is to avoid crushed coral in tanks due to the fact that it tends to trap debris in nooks and crannies that are hard to get to versus a sand bed which is easier to maintain through vacuuming and an appropriate cleanup crew.

While I can obviously understand the size difference, in a fuge environment (which is what's being discussed), can we honestly say that CC would gather more detritus then LR rubble and chaetomorpha? or what would naturally settle on the sand with the reduced flow rate?

While I can obviously understand the size difference, in a fuge environment (which is what's being discussed), can we honestly say that CC would gather more detritus then LR rubble and chaetomorpha? or what would naturally settle on the sand with the reduced flow rate?

Actually... what was originally being discussed was why the poster was losing corals. Where we went astray was when someone else asked whether they should use cc or sand in their fuge. Didn't see mention anywhere about LR rubble or chaeto. How any of this helps the original poster, I don't know. They just wanted to know why not to use cc in their tank!

Actually... what was originally being discussed was why the poster was losing corals. Where we went astray was when someone else asked whether they should use cc or sand in their fuge. Didn't see mention anywhere about LR rubble or chaeto. How any of this helps the original poster, I don't know. They just wanted to know why not to use cc in their tank!

I agree, this thread has drifted and CC has no place in a main tank. I was merely curious about an answer given to a question regarding using some cc in a fuge in conjunction with sand.

I didn't really mention lr rubble or chaeto for a specific instance but for comparison purposes since it's not uncommon to see those in a typical fuge.

LR rubble is larger (for the most part) and you can get more movement through it than the smaller CC. That leaves for less trapped particles, thus less nitrates. Sand is even smaller so it doesn't allow those particles to become a problem.

Real fast guys: what do you think of taking out all of the CC substrait i have now. 100% of it and slowly adding the argonite sand 30-60 lbs at a time? I beleive the calculators are saying that i need to have 210 lbs in the tank for a 4in sand bed. (60"X18"X4")

Thanks,

Obmanta

If you are game I dont see a problem. Get you a PVC pipe and wash the sand real good and let the sand run down the pipe to the bottom and that will lessen the sand storm.

I switched my CC for sand. I did about 1/4 of the tank a week and had extra PWC just in case.

Back
Top Bottom