Profile: Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
[center:945ef79b53]Clownfish[/center:945ef79b53]

Clownfish...fish from the genus Amphiprion and Premnus are commonly referred to as anemone fish because of their symbiotic relationship with host sea anemones. Clownfish are one of the most popular and interesting fish available in the hobby and the relationship between the clownfish and the anemone is possibly the single largest reason for new aquarists to enter the hobby. While the allure of the clownfish and host anemone is what draws the hobbyist, it should be noted that clownfish do not need an anemone to be happy or to survive. In the wild, the anemone offers the clownfish protection from predation in its stinging tentacles, while the clown will protect its anemone from would be attackers with a ferociousness that rivals any attack dog, Amphiprion clarkii has even been known to bark. In the aquarium most anemones only live a tiny fraction of their life expectancy and are not recommended for any but the expert aquarist with a mature reef tank.

Clownfish form a matriarchal society, where the largest most dominant female is queen. All clowns are born as neuter males, in a clutch of clowns the largest most dominant fish will become the female and the next largest most dominant fish will become a functioning male, the rest will remain neuter males, until either is removed.

Clownfish are hardy aquarium species and fairly easy to care for, accepting a large variety of meaty foods and are fairly disease resistant. Clowns succumb to the common maladies of the aquarium; marine velvet, white spot and common bacterial infections. One parasite that is typical of wild caught clowns is Brooklynella hostilis, aka anemone fish disease. This protazoa infects the gills and skin of the fish, the two most common signs are the sloughing of skin cells and increased mucus production. Clowns in an aquarium with multiple clowns also tend to suffer from nipped fins, bumps and bruises from their conspecific’s belligerence. Clownfish do not require a reef tank to live and be happy, clowns do well in fish only systems as well as fish only with live rock. It is quite common for clowns to mate and breed in the home aquarium. This brings me to the best thing about clowns, many, many species are available tank raised. Tank raised specimens are even hardier than their wild caught cousins and it does not require the removal of a clown from the natural reef.

Clownfish species range in adult sizes from approx 3 inches to approx 6 inches, depending on species. The genus Amphiprion currently has 27 identified species, while the genus Premnus is home to only one.

• Amphiprion akallopisos (Skunk anemonefish)
    Amphiprion akyndynos (Barrier Reef anemonefish)
    Amphiprion allardi (Allard’s anemonefish)
    Amphiprion bicinctus (Two-banded anemonefish)
    Amphiprion chagosensis (Chagos anemonefish)
    Amphiprion chryogaster (Mauritian anemonefish)
    Amphiprion chrysopterus (Orange-fin anemonefish)
    Amphiprion clarkii (Clark’s anemonefish)
    Amphiprion ephippium (Red Saddleback anemonefish)
    Amphiprion frenatus (Tomato anemonefish)
    Amphiprion fuscocaudatus (Sechelees anemonefish)
    Amphiprion atezonatus (Wide-band anemonefish, Lord Howe anemonefish)
    Amphiprion latifasciatus (Madagascar anemonefish)
    Amphiprion leuckocranos (White-bonnet anemonefish)
    Amphiprion mccullochi (McCulloch’s anemonefish)
    Amphiprion melanopus (Red and Black anemonefish)
    Amphiprion negripes (Maldive anemonefish)
    Amphiprion ocellaris (Common anemonefish, False clown anemonefish)
    Amphiprion omanensis (Oman anemonefish)
    Amphiprion perculae (Clown anemonefish)
    Amphiprion perideraion (Pink anemonefish)
    Amphiprion polymnus (Saddleback anemonefish)
    Amphiprion rubrocinctus (Australian anemonefish)
    Amphiprion sandaracinos (Orange anemonefish)
    Amphiprion sebae (Seabae anemonefish)
    Amphiprion theillei (Theille’s anemonefish)
    Amphiprion tricinctus (Three-banded anemonefish)

Premnus biaculeatus (Spine-cheeked anemone fish, Maroon anemonefish)

Clownfish Links:
http://www.masla.com/clownfish.html
http://www.aqualink.com/catalogs/yclown.html
http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/saltref/brdclown.html
http://members.tripod.com/~raisingfish/clownfish.html
http://www.szgdocent.org/ff/f-reef8.htm

Now I want to hear your experience with your clownfish. Please feel free to post in this thread any tips, tricks, photos and stories you wish to share

The Tomato clown was the first fish that we put in our 150 gallon tank. He got along well with everyone even trying to school with the tangs. Recently, he became very territorial and killed a huge mandarin fish that we had. He would get it up against the side of the tank and hammer the heck out of it. Try as we might, we could not catch either fish to save the situation. I am wondering what prompted this behaviour in what used to be a very peaceful fish.

My guess would be the clown reached sexual maturity and was doing it's thing about dominating the tank, and protecting it's territory.

Greetings.

FYI, clowns are related to damsels also, if I'm not mistaken, that is why they seem way too much territorial at times.

Today was a rare day off from work and my husband and I went two hours west to a petstore that we had heard of. The place was immaculate and there was not a piece of nastiness in ANY of their many many tanks. I was quite impressed. While there, we were witness to the relationship between anemone and fish and it was incredible. There was a huge carpet anemone, I would say if laid out, it would have been 10 inches across. His fish was a Clarkii clown that was about 4-5 inches. This fish was so "into" his anemone that he would nudge it and it would close around him. He would swim behind it and do the same thing and would get "cuddled" for want of a better term. It was truly beautiful to watch. I just wonder how successful people are when they just randomly pick fish then anemone. These guys looked like they had been a team for years.

I have had the best luck with clarkii, maroon and tomato, as far as hosting goes. I have never had in luck with ocellaris. IMO clarkii do the best at hosting stuff, with maroon a close second. Tomato's almost always host any bubble tip anenome. Thats just my experience with clowns and anenomes.

I have a true percula that does a very weird thing at night. He goes to my heater and goes between it and the side and shoots out and backflips out of the water. Because I have a hood he never falls out. :roll:

I have a gold banded maroon clown and a bubble tip and he just loves it. he will do just like what the other member was talking about , nuging it and snuggling into it. About 2 months ago I put a seabae in the tank and now he goes between them both. He's funny because he will pick up small peices of shell and rock that fall by the anemones and spit them to the other side of the tank. They are really fun fish to watch.

Hi...newbie here :oops: Just wondering if clowns can do well in a 72gl bowfront fowlr. The tank is reef ready but it is still new so no plans to do it up just yet.
Also, what are the least agressive clowns? Should the be bought as a pair? And can they do okay without an anemone?
Thanks so much!
Oh...I have 4 fish...royal gramma, domino damsel, fire goby, red cardinal and some snails and crabs.
Lisa :D

woof?

Amphiprion clarkii has even been known to bark.

Reefrunner, can you elaborate on this, please? what, exactly, do you mean by bark?

<-- sitting here with a baffled look on his face.

Just wondering if clowns can do well in a 72gl bowfront fowlr

Yep they should do fine, provided the tank is properly cared for and not overstocked or stocked with fish that will eat them :twisted:

Also, what are the least agressive clowns?

IMO, Pink skunk clowns (Amphiprion perideraion ) are the least aggressive.

through my experience, clown fish bond to certain anenamoes, that i why when i buy a clown fish and it is in love with its certain anenemoe i beleive in buying them both together

Reefrunner, can you elaborate on this, please? what, exactly, do you mean by bark?

<-- sitting here with a baffled look on his face.

Billy, I just saw this post!!! What is meant by this is they make an audible barking noise like a dog!! LOL

reefrunner69 said:
Billy, I just saw this post!!! What is meant by this is they make an audible barking noise like a dog!! LOL

Very common in mated clownes. Many species will do it. The first time my pink skunks did it I thought there was a new "creature" luking in the tank... :p

Cheers
Steve

My maroon clown and the yellow tang i had used to always stay right around each other. If one went away the other was right behind. Ive never seen or heard of this before.

sounds like your tank would be great for clowns. i think the least aggresive ones are perculas.

echo7 said:
i think the least aggresive ones are perculas.

Actually, I think you will find that skunk clowns are the least aggressive and most docile of the clowns.

Cheers
Steve

My saddleback was one of the first fish I put in my tank. He has gone through bonding with two condi"s (both of which have passed. IMO, LFS should not sell them. Their mortality rate in captivity is way too high!) He then bonded with of all things my feather duster. The duster liked it, he never dove for cover. Then I added a very sexy flower anemone, all green, white, frilly and soft. My clown threw over the feather in hopes of winning the heart of the flower. After many repeated attempts and many stings later, he now rubs and nestles with the beautiful flower all day and night. It was interesting to see the symbiosis develope between a bonding fish and an caribbean anemone that would in nature never even see a clownfish.

Howard

I have never had any luck with clowns. I have had 4 false percs and 3 have died and one was stolen!. I guess its just not in the starts for me :cry:

Back
Top Bottom