Proper way to plant wisteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so I bought some plants pretty sure they are wisteria correct me if I'm wrong

My question is how do I plant these? I put them in my substrate but half way up the plant there are some root, I think they are roots do I cut them in half where the roots are growing the LFS advised I could cut the tops and plant them so I did any help or ideas would be great.

Yep, looks like wisteria.
I've got a bunch of wisteria as well - they don't necessarily get their nutrients solely from the substrate; they get it from the water column. Mine has its roots going everywhere and my betta and shrimp love them because they provide good shade and cover with the leaves. Just let the roots hang there freely and the plant will do the rest. ;)

maybe even search youtube for wisteria trimming, I know there are lots of videos on trimming aquatic plants, wisteria is considered a stem plant I believe, see if that can help to...

Agreed with everyone here. What you have there is actually "Wisteria in transition".

The bottom half there with the thick brownish stem and the stubby leaves is the "emersed" form, whereas the super-green tops with the "fractal" leaves is the underwater form.

You'll find that if you chop off the tops and then just plant the tops - the plant will grow completely the same way like it looks at the top.

And yes - it does root everywhere and grow everywhere. Under good light it forms more of a "bush" than a common stem plant.

I would say moderate. I have it growing in my 26gal tall bowfront under LEDs so I can't compare it well to fluorescent but it definitely grows like a beast even in plain gravel with just root tabs. And it is very resilient - you can take a little 1-inch stem with 2-3 leaves on it, stick it in the gravel, and it will soon be thriving.

You can actually watch Wisteria "fight for light" - where one stem will actually grow AROUND another stem just to reach for some open space and then continue upwards.

(And for reference - the greenery in the background of my signature is Wisteria. It gets RIDICULOUSLY green.)

:D

Good info guys. I currently have fake plants only in my 10 gal but when I get the 75 gal I will consider this plant. It looks really nice.

Yep it was my first tank I know it doesn't look like a natural aquascape but it's to much of a hassle to change substrate plus all my plants are doing great.

I have wisteria in a 10g as well. Love the stuff. It does get nice and bushy, and it grows well in almost any conditions you stick it in. You can float it or plant it. The floating stuff in my girlfriend's betta tank grows these nice long roots that her betta likes to frolic in. Such a hardy, versatile, available plant.

I'm almost afraid to put it in my high tech tank. Who knows how fast it will grow.

EDIT: Also, proper way to plant wisteria: stick it in. Anywhere. Pretty easy stuff to deal with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom