proposed 10 gallon set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
10 gallon tank, hood, 15w flourescent light
heater (used) temp 78 winter, 81 summer
1 nano powerhead - suggestions as to which direction to aim it?
no HOB filter (unless needed later, have an aqua tech 5-15)
2-3 inch sand bed, premium play sand from hardware store
15 lbs rock, 50% live
PWC 10% weekly, keep nitrates under 10
will use purigen if necessary to keep nitrates under 10
RO water from local grocery
will use instant ocean salt and mix 3 gals of water at a time and let it sit for a few days after mixing before using
top off with RO water
API test kit ammonia nitrite nitrate Ph and high PH
feeding once a day pellets, frozen, flake - suggestions?

clown fish
yellow clown goby
4 hermits
2 snails - suggestions?
1 shrimp - suggestions?

Still more reading to do as I save money. I hope to set up and cycle in September. Just making sure I am on the right track.
Thanks!

The only problem with a small setup is that it is very easy for the water to get out of hand and the maintenance is a ton more. If you are limited on space I would get a nano setup...they are designed specifically for a smaller setup...

I'm confused...what is the difference between a 10 gallon set up and a nano? I thought anything 30 gallons or less was a "nano".

I think you'll be fine as long as you moniter your water specs regularly :) My first sw tank was a 10G and I had no problems at all. I find they are a lot easier to maintain than everyone claims.

Oh one thing though I would get more snails than hermits as they're more effective at getting rid of nuisance algae. Hermit crabs are mainly scavengers and will take care of any uneaten food left by your fish. As far suggestions for snails, I just picked up some Nassarius yesterday and they are great. Maybe get some Astrea's as well to clean the rocks and glass as Nassarius live in the sand. AVOID TURBOS they get huge lol

Thanks! It is good to hear from someone who is not all doom and gloom about a 10 gallon tank. My opinion is that if I do water changes each week, stock lightly, feed sparingly, and watch my nitrates, that the tank should do okay. I can adjust my plan if I need to, but why worry when things might go just fine.

Back
Top Bottom