Pros and cons - all male african tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I'm starting a malawi tank (70g) and I don't know if I want an all male tank or males and females. So far I'm having just peacocks and some yellow labs along with my bn plecos and rts.
What are everyone's experiences and thoughts?
At the moment I'm leaning towards all males.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ah, but some would consider that a pro!

Really? I think its cool!

Pro-better colors, no babies (if thats what you want;))

Con-is there more agression? It seems there would be

I have an all male (with the exception of 1 yellow lab) tank and I love it! Everyone get's along great even though there are only five fish. A lot of people will recommend that you overstock though I personally don't care for it. With less fish you really get to know their personality and there's a smaller bio-load which makes upkeep much easier. (this is a BIG plus when keeping messy fish like cichlids) I also think it is kind of mean to cram twenty, five inch fish into a four foot aquarium. That's my opinion on the subject

So all in all I'd say definitely go all male but I'd also recommend that you think about under stocking.

If you are going to keep Lab's (I'm assuming Labidochromis caeruleus correct?) 3 Females to 1 male would be the way you want to do it. It will keep the aggression down. You can introduce one at a time....but Start with the Male.

i think either would work, you'll want a fairly larger group of labs if you do all males, that way nobody can be singled out, but sexing them can be hard if your not used to venting. i would say a group of at least 5 will work, they will most likely be aggressive to each other but as long as there are no fish being singled out then it will be fine. i dont have much info on peacocks but i think its pretty common having an all male tank, and they appear to be fairly calm fish. just a warning, yellow labs are said to be very mellow and a good tankmate for peacocks if your wanting to mix peacocks with mbuna, but in my own experience labs have been one of the more aggressive species in my tank, which includes red zebras and maingano. you're definitely going to want to plan your stocking very carefully for this tank, and have a hospital tank on hand just incase things dont work out.

Maxkolbe said:
I have an all male (with the exception of 1 yellow lab) tank and I love it! Everyone get's along great even though there are only five fish. A lot of people will recommend that you overstock though I personally don't care for it. With less fish you really get to know their personality and there's a smaller bio-load which makes upkeep much easier. (this is a BIG plus when keeping messy fish like cichlids) I also think it is kind of mean to cram twenty, five inch fish into a four foot aquarium. That's my opinion on the subject

So all in all I'd say definitely go all male but I'd also recommend that you think about under stocking.

Thanks :) I've been wondering about understocked cichlid tanks and if any one had done it. What size tank and what stock do you have?

Pton46 said:
If you are going to keep Lab's (I'm assuming Labidochromis caeruleus correct?) 3 Females to 1 male would be the way you want to do it. It will keep the aggression down. You can introduce one at a time....but Start with the Male.

Yes. If I where to have 1 male lab and 2-3 females then all male peacocks would that be an issue?

a.tetreault said:
i think either would work, you'll want a fairly larger group of labs if you do all males, that way nobody can be singled out, but sexing them can be hard if your not used to venting. i would say a group of at least 5 will work, they will most likely be aggressive to each other but as long as there are no fish being singled out then it will be fine. i dont have much info on peacocks but i think its pretty common having an all male tank, and they appear to be fairly calm fish. just a warning, yellow labs are said to be very mellow and a good tankmate for peacocks if your wanting to mix peacocks with mbuna, but in my own experience labs have been one of the more aggressive species in my tank, which includes red zebras and maingano. you're definitely going to want to plan your stocking very carefully for this tank, and have a hospital tank on hand just incase things don't work out.

Thanks. :) I've got a LFS nearby that specializes in cichlids so I'm hoping he can help me out with sexing.

Right now I have only one yellow lab (male), he is perfect with the peacocks, salvini, demasoni, Pleco, and Venstrus. I personally am looking for a mate for the yellow lab, because I enjoy fry. With my peacocks I have a harem with one male and three females. I like the different color blend of the females, it makes it more natural. Butits your choice. Male- more color, no babies
Female-natural, babies!
FYI only get one male of a species for the females of the species, because you don't want any fighting.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
Right now I have only one yellow lab (male), he is perfect with the peacocks, salvini, demasoni, Pleco, and Venstrus. I personally am looking for a mate for the yellow lab, because I enjoy fry. With my peacocks I have a harem with one male and three females. I like the different color blend of the females, it makes it more natural. Butits your choice. Male- more color, no babies
Female-natural, babies!
FYI only get one male of a species for the females of the species, because you don't want any fighting.

I'm having such a hard time deciding! Changing my mind multiple times a day :/ I'm with you. I think it would be more natural with females in the mix. As for fry, I don't know of they would be a blessing or a curse! Lol.

Well I haven't had any fry yet, because my females are taking a stinking long time to become mature. If I do, they're high in protein for the other fish and I can sell to my lfs.

I've heard of people saying these need to be in groups of five, but I've not had that problem. My yellow lab and demasoni apparently have to be in groups, but their perfectly fine no injuries nothing.

Well I haven't had any fry yet, because my females are taking a stinking long time to become mature. If I do, they're high in protein for the other fish and I can sell to my lfs.

True. If I let the females spit in the main tank then I not have too many to worry about.

I've heard of people saying these need to be in groups of five, but I've not had that problem. My yellow lab and demasoni apparently have to be in groups, but their perfectly fine no injuries nothing.

Ok so what about 1 male yellow lab and 3 females (assuming I can find them) and 1 male and 2-3 females of what ever kinda of peacocks I get.

Mumma.of.two said:
Thanks :) I've been wondering about understocked cichlid tanks and if any one had done it. What size tank and what stock do you have?

I have a sixty gallon tank with two red zebras a cobalt zebra an unidentified peacock that I think is a sulfur head, a yellow
Lab, one BN Pleco, a featherfin cat, and an upside down cat. I also have plenty of rocks and driftwood so each individual can claim their own territory.

I prefer makes and females, that way I get to better see true cichlid behaviors. If stocked properly, aggression won't be much of an issue. With African cichlids there will always be some aggression but it can be managed.

Also, a lot of them are hard to sex so trying to keep an all male tank can be a challenge, IMO.

Yes. If I where to have 1 male lab and 2-3 females then all male peacocks would that be an issue?

I think you will be fine....I have a Male Peacock in my tank, with a Male Red Zebra (I think) and a Juvenile Frontosa (not sure of sex?) with a Male and 2 Female Labs.

The Peacock is the Tank Boss but does not pick on any one specifically. Just chases them out of his cave when one is too close. the Frontosa Ignores them and the Red Zebra hangs with the Labs like he/she is one of them.
The Lab male only gets aggressive at Feeding time.

Just my Experience with them, so take it a face value, but the person I got the Labs from told me about the 3 to 1 , he bred them (for a bunch of years). So I was inclined to believe him.

Good Luck, sounds like you are going to have a a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom