Pro's and Con's of Clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've finally decided what three fish I want. A pair of clowns, not sure of which ones though, and a Goby. :)

This will be mostly a coral tank but I've been told that fish should be included. LOL

What I want are colorful, playful and friendly fish. My cichlids follow me when I walk by, I love that.

So, what do you guys think? And what order do I stock? I'm a noob so any input is good input. I love learning.

Thanks so much

pros- they look cute and occasionally host corals/anemones.
cons- none, unless you purchase some of the larger ones, like maroon clowns. these will rearrange your tank once they find something to host in. they will be quite aggressive and not let any fish near their little area.
percula, or ocellaris would be my choice.
what else are you considering besides clowns?

I was thinking a Goby. I know I can only have 3 or 4 fish so I'm thinking ahead. Not even sure what kind of Goby, that'll be another thread and more research.

I'm not a big nemo fish fan, but I'd like some fish with personality. What about the black ones? I'm pretty sure I dont want the regular orange striped ones.

In so much as order, would I get my fish first or start my corals?

Thanks X, I always look forward to your replies. :-D

yeah, black and white ocellaris are cool. i used to have a pair of those in a massive rose bubble.

They aren't aggressive at all? I'm thinking of getting an anemone at some point so thats where they hang out isn't it?

I'm still not sure what to add first though. My water seems stable now and the small cuc I have is working out.

they can team up with an anemone, but it's not a sure thing. they can also utilize different wavy corals as protection. i would try the coral first before i attempted an anemone. much easier to keep.
i would add the clowns whenever you are ready.

I will keep testing my water til the weekend and make sure parameters are steady. I may pick up a few more hermit crabs tho. I love watching them work. LOL It's the little things in life that make me happy.

Thanks X, you rock. I'll be back later with more questions I'm sure.

Check out semi-picasso, picasso, snowflake and platinum clowns.

I have B&W's and Semi-Picassos. The are gorgeous.

I have a pair of clowns. I think they're awesome. Granted my pair is a standard ocellaris and a b/w ocellaris so they look really interesting. PrettyFishies is right about the platinums and picassos, they look stunning in a reef.

I was thinking a Goby.

Check out a pink spotted goby. They are very peaceful and look nice also. Here is mine that is 10 yrs old now.

100_1498.jpg

Check into the blenny family. IMO, they've got the most personality of reef fish. The bi-color is small and perches on the rocks. Fun to watch. The Midas is a bit larger and will back into a hole and have his head stick out awaiting food and just being plain ole nosey. The sailfins are also larger and perch and swim from time to time. Big alga eaters. The fang varieties will swim out front a lot and don't perch. Some small. Some medium. They swim all the time unless they're sleeping. Neat the way the hover over stuff and eyeball it. The canary is my favorite of them.

As beautiful as they are, stay clear of the Gold Banded Maroon Clowns. I have one that is one of the most aggressive fish that I have ever had. Attacks anything that comes near it and it's BTA. It also moves things around like X stated.

Warning heeded. hehe.... I'm gonna take a trip out and see what kinda clowns are available locally. I'm partial to the black ones but maybe theres another i can find.

Warning, might just post via phone if I find a different one and need help!

those designer clowns are usually fairly pricey compared to the normal ocellaris and true percula.

i love my blenny as well, very interesting to watch! and possibly a firefish goby is a nice smaller goby, just make sure you have a top, they are definitely jumpers

iDreamInSaltwater said:
those designer clowns are usually fairly pricey compared to the normal ocellaris and true percula.

i love my blenny as well, very interesting to watch! and possibly a firefish goby is a nice smaller goby, just make sure you have a top, they are definitely jumpers

How about a mandarin goby't. At lfs now and they got a beauty

Not in a small tank. They need LOTS of rock work to feed. Very seldom will they eat prepared food. He'll starve and die slowly in such a small and new tank.

P.S. - a mandarin isn't a goby. :)

I have "Fudge Glazed" clowns and a Firefish Goby. My clowns are very peaceful but I have heard some clowns can be aggressive. They are from the Damsel family if I remember right.

Attachments

• IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 141
How about a mandarin goby't. At lfs now and they got a beauty

You need a mature tank of at least a year. Need lots of pods for them. A big tank with lots of LR is needed to house the pods. If you were to get one make sure you see it eat prepared food at the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom