Protein Foam will not go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingLoach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I've been having an issue with my 30Gal and protein foam forming at the top of my tank. I have preformed multiple water changes, gravel vacuumed and cleaned the filters but it just comes back the next day.

Since I'm still somewhat new to the hobby I was hoping for some advice on how to clear it up and make sure my fish stay happy and healthy.

Hi Everyone!

I've been having an issue with my 30Gal and protein foam forming at the top of my tank. I have preformed multiple water changes, gravel vacuumed and cleaned the filters but it just comes back the next day.

Since I'm still somewhat new to the hobby I was hoping for some advice on how to clear it up and make sure my fish stay happy and healthy.

You need to change water more often until it stops. Some foods (particularly soft pellets) can be really oily and contribute heavily to a biofilm which froths when the surface is agitated.

I noticed this in my tank when I was using a certain 'catfish pellet' and then realized the fish didnt even like them anyways! So they would sit and cause more problems and had to constantly vac them out and do small water changes. I stopped feeding that food and I got 2 mystery snails around the same time. But either way, my problem stopped after about 2 days of not feeding the food and doing a good vac and partial water change. Plus the snails may have helped too! Who knows.
Best of luck to you!

Got the same problem in the 5 gallon shrimp tank which has a low powered filter and little water surface agitation. Paper towels or a container to scoop it up on cleaning work for me but kind of messy. I’ve been reducing the feed and trying different pellets as well (probably will swap to sinking wafer bits to try next).

Back
Top Bottom