Protein Skimmer For Pond Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an idea:
What I were to hook up a protein skimmer to my pond? And have an overflow flow into a 5-gallon bucket and only have to empty it every so often? I was just thinking of a way to get rid of excess nutirents and proteins in the water, and this came to mind. I may try it either way, but does anyone have any suggestions? :idea:

For that much water and especially since it is freshwater you would need a homongous reaction chamber and an even more humongouser pump IMO.

Some kind of bio filtration would do much better 4 U. You could make a big giant DIY wet/dry using a water pump and pond floss on a big bio wheel.

Heck, you could make it out of an old humidifier I bet.

You really dont think a protein would work? It isnt my problem, its just trying to invent new ways of filtration for my clients. Filtration is already good, but I just am trying to add on to make the water quality more "pure".

The problem with skimmers and freshwater is that the surface tension of freshwater is just not high enough to make skimming an effective form of DOC removal. As was said you would need a very large reaction chamber. We would be talking several feet tall and fairly large in diamater. The only reason skimmers work in saltwater is that the natural surface tension in saltwater is higher allowing the skimmer to operate effectivly.

They do make commercial skimmers for fresh water and ponds. I don't know of any distributors in the US, but I've heard good things from the Brits on other forums.

I can't find the site at the moment, but you can do a search for Febi Turbo Cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom