Protein skimmer, Hang it or Hide it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
The only thing I'm missing in my system ( or so I'm told) it a protien skimmer. I have a Berlin right now but it not running. I'm looking for opinions. Should I put the berlin in a sump/ ref below the tank or forget about the sump/ ref altogether and buy a hang on the back. What are the pros and cons of each.

TIA
Calvin

I've always thought that the sump models work a little better than the hang on back but I don't have any experience with the hang on back so I cannot comment directly.

I ran my Berlin both ways and really didn't see a difference in how it worked.
The main reason I placed mine in my sump was to get rid of the big PH sitting in my tank, Kind of takes away from the natural look. The sump is a great way to get the hardware out of the main tank and hide it.

I gotta tell you that from my experience with the SeaClone 100 (yeah, I know) it works better when hung on instead of being down in the sump. That is because you have to have the venturi device about 2-3 inches under the water line for it to work properly. When I had it in my sump it was 9 inches under the water. That was too deep for it to work efficiently. So what did I do? I simply hung it on the sump. :) Works much better this way.

I have a visi jet 100 and it generates skanky foam so I would say it's working, but I would really like to have something that does not fall apart if you touch it and something that doesn't require an opening in your tank for a big smoked tube to poke out.

IMHO.

:loopy:

Back
Top Bottom