Protein Skimmer or No Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been cycling a 10 gallon FOWLR tank for a while now and it's nearly finished. I was told not to get a protein skimmer, so I don't have one, but after looking into them a little more I've been debating whether or not to get one. Do you think it's necessary? Thanks!

It cant hurt but really is not needed for smaller tanks. Weekly water changes and good maintenance will do the job. Nano skimmers dont do the greatest job performance wise but adding one wont hurt. Just up to you to decide if the small benefit is worth the money.

As long as your no overstocked/overfeeding then you shouldnt really have a problem without one as long as your keeping up on your maintenance.

For a nano tank, a skimmer would be a small upgrade to the overall system after you have everything else to run/maintain the tank. A skimmer is better than no skimmer at all IMO. It helps keep the water slightly cleaner in-between your water changes.

I have a skimmer on my BC29 and as a test I had it off for 2 weeks. Honestly with testing and everything else I saw no difference at all. However I feel better having it running. I have the Tunze 9002 with the upgraded cup from inTank. It doesn't really skim much though. I can go weeks before I have to empty it but I do get some nasty dark gunk that smells like low tide. So bottom line... IMO I would rather have one that not and I do water changes once a week, 5 gallons every Friday.

Convict2161 said:
I have a skimmer on my BC29 and as a test I had it off for 2 weeks. Honestly with testing and everything else I saw no difference at all. However I feel better having it running. I have the Tunze 9002 with the upgraded cup from inTank. It doesn't really skim much though. I can go weeks before I have to empty it but I do get some nasty dark gunk that smells like low tide. So bottom line... IMO I would rather have one that not and I do water changes once a week, 5 gallons every Friday.

You wouldnt notice much of a change in a week. A few months and there will be much bigger change.

For a FOWLR system I wouldn't worry about a skimmer. If it was me, I'd save my money for a bigger tank because it is bound to happen. When you do that, decide to go reef and then you should get a skimmer. Lol.

I had a 3 gallon FOWLR with 2 fish, 1 shrimp and a snail; no protein skimmer. I did a 1 gallon change every Sunday and never had any issues. I tested the water every week and was good after the first 3 months. Only issue I ever really competed with was algae and temperature. So keep that water clean!

I have a Remora hang on slimmer on my 38 because I don't run a sump. I find the skimmer augments the hang on trickle filter perfectly because the trickle is by design aimed at larger particulate detritus. The skimmer will remove much smaller particles. Pairing that with over the 1 pound per gallon of rock rule and lots of circulation makes for a tank that routinely shows zeros even though it is stocked fairly heavy.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I've decided not to go with skimmer. I'll definitely do more saltwater tanks in the future (I don't even have fish and am already in love), so when I go reef I'll get a protein skimmer then. if it's only a slight difference, I won't bother. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom