Protein Skimmer selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beginneraquariumowner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys!

I haven't been on here in quite awhile but my 36gal project is almost done. As of now I have two clowns, two clown goby's, a jawfish, and six line wrasse. All have been doing great! But now the time has come to add a skimmer to the tank as my water clarity seems to retain alot of debris after feedings. Plus I'd like to add some more corals! I need some recommendations for a good HOB skimmer, one that will work with my hood, and be $100 or less. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

"Good" and "$100 or less" will probably not go well together. Cheap skimmers often give poor results. You could go with a Reef Octo BH100, which has decent reviews, and that will get you close to $100.

Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

Some would probably say that skimmer is not big enough though for a 36.

Also, while skimming will be great for removing dissolved organics, proteins, etc, it is not necessarily going to remove particles of food that you can see with the naked eye, and and not generally a water clarity tool (though lower levels of PO4, docs, NO3, etc could result in a clearler water). If there is a water clarity issue, running high quality carbon could help more than a skimmer, depending on your water parameters). Is this a reef or or fowlr tank?

I kind of figured $100 and good would be tough. That said I'm wanting a skimmer as I plan to add more corals over time. All I have at the moment is some sort of tree coral. My concern is that I already may have maxed out my bio load capacity because let's just say I got kind of fish happy ha ha

If you went fish happy, you're going to need a good quality skimmer to handle the bioload if you want to keep corals.....

Find the used skimmer! I just sold my aquamaxx HOB for $80. Retail is $200

I'd agree with a used skimmer if you know exactly how they work...... typically, used ones require either some kind of rebuilding, maintenance, or tinkering.

Well if that's the case with used skimmers than I'd best not mess with it, my knowledge of skimmers is little to none.

Well if that's the case with used skimmers than I'd best not mess with it, my knowledge of skimmers is little to none.

Then you're better off getting a new one.... You're obviously going to pay more than a used one, but you're also going to have enough of a learning curve getting it properly dialed in..... if there happens to be a problem with it that you can't diagnose, you'll just be pulling your hair out. Bite the bullet and learn the ins & outs with one that's new....

Im buying a skimmer too. Going with the marineland 100

I have heard horror stores about the marinelands needing constant adjustment to reliably pull skimmate at the rate you want... just fyi. Haven't personally used them so couldn't say for sure.

I've got that reef octopus bh1000 on my 30 gallon, it's awesome. Would highly recommend it.

Only problem with that skimmer is that with my hood setup I have only about 2 inches to work with so I doubt it would/could fit. Any ideas for one that is HOB but outside the tank?

Eshopps 100 is amazing hob external, I just got a coralife 125 on a demo sale from my lfs if i like it, 180 no tax he uses a 125 and 220 on his tanks and they look like theyre pulling pure black, and he cleans the cup every two days . Any problems, I deal with him at no charge.

Back
Top Bottom