Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klobianco12

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anybody know a good protein skimmer for a 55g at a affordable price online? And a good brand name was thinking about buying a seaclone 100 or 125

It depends on your budget. I ordered octopus reef nwb150 online at bulkreefsupply because I've read good reviews about it and its a decent price for a really good skimmer :)

I don't have a sump or refug sp would a hang on the back be good or?

Thanks , but is a hang on the tank one not efficient as a regular one? And another thing should I just wait and buy or make a sump and refug ?

There are benefits to using sump but you really need to think what works out best for you. Keep in mind that setting up a sump costs more. You are looking are $200 plus the skimmer. If you wanna go sumpless HOB reef octopus is good too.

Say if I go sump less with I still have a good thriving reef tank?

Yes do weekly water changes, good lighting,good water flow,good filtration and you will have a great reef tank. There's a lot of beautiful corals,fish and inverts choose what will work for you and you will be pleased. Just keep it fun!

Dan, or anybody else lol I have a fluval x2 are canister filters good or they a waste?

Canisters are good if you keep up with cleaning them cause they will build up a lot of waste which will be added to you nitrification process. Sumps are by no mean a must for a thriving reef but are a huge help. With a sump you have added water volume (more stable conditions), if building your own you can add a fuge (lowers nitrates and phosphates also houses benificial creatures like pods), adds room for more rock (beneficial bacteria), you can hide almost all your equipment in it, and lastly if its DIY then its completely customized for your system

Klobianco12 said:
Dan, or anybody else lol I have a fluval x2 are canister filters good or they a waste?

There not a waste, they just need lots of maintenance in order to prevent the nitrate factory effect, sumps are the best I learned that the hard way lol

Any website you know that have good sumps for sale? Or should I make one my self?

Klobianco12 said:
Any website you know that have good sumps for sale? Or should I make one my self?

Make your own its very easy and like 90% cheaper lol

Mrc if you don mind any specifics things, and list of things I need .

Find out what you can fit in your stand first. Hopefully you can get like a 20 long and then just go to lowes/home depot to have them cut for free a few baffles then just silicone them in and that's a sump with a possible refugium which id reccomend. We can help you with measurements and design to help fit your needs

Thanks n it's a 48'' long tank 55gal but I could fit a 20 gallon one n what are baffles ? Lol

The dividers to divert water flow for different compartments.. this is mine while I was making a new one since mine other was leaking :x

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120727_031637.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_031637.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20120727_031817.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_031817.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 62
I have a 29 gallon tank Can I make that into one or should I get a 20 gallon long tank to make into one?

Back
Top Bottom