Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon reef tank and I am looking for a protein skimmer how do I determine what size to get. I do not have a sump so I need a HOB

Rmonson said:
I have a 29 gallon reef tank and I am looking for a protein skimmer how do I determine what size to get. I do not have a sump so I need a HOB

I use a Reef Octopus Bh-1000 hang on back protein skimmer on my 29g reef. You wont find a better skimmer for the price and size. Its rated up to 100g but you will see better results on tanks in the 29-55g range which i think it suits best. I believe i got mine for around $165

I was looking at that one today and it looked good I think I am going to get that one

I have a 55gal tank and I have a sea clone 150 and I have read reviews in this with people saying its cheap and not good, it is cheap and works great! My buddy has had one and his dad has had one for years.

Here it is on the Internet just to give you an idea of what it is, I got it for less then 100

image-1917927604.jpg

Maybe il try that one it is a lot cheaper but il keep looking around and see what's out there if anyone has a different HOB skimmer that they like feel free to comment

That's exactly y I bought it bc it was cheaper, I'm not looking to break the bank on this hobby lol, I'm satisfied so far with it( I've had it for about 2 months) buddy, years.

I found researching is the best thing to do!!!

That's not too much for a 29g is it or is it not possible to over skim

They make smaller ones I know that that have a 100,

I don't think it is possible, I have seen other threads on here saying that its not bad too.

The way I see it is get all the bad crud out of the water haha

Haha ya I guess if it gets all the bad stuff out it can't be too bad to skim a little extra

Trust me spend the money and get the good skimmer. I've had the Seaclones before and yes they work but once you get a good (octopus or similar) skimmer you will notice exactly how much better the good brands are. Spending the money once on a good skimmer sure beats buying a cheap one now and then regretting it and buying an upgrade later.

The only reason I bought a cheaper one is because I'm in college and don't have that much money, I think when I move out and get my own place I'm going to go big and get the best equipment.

Keithhjs said:
Trust me spend the money and get the good skimmer. I've had the Seaclones before and yes they work but once you get a good (octopus or similar) skimmer you will notice exactly how much better the good brands are. Spending the money once on a good skimmer sure beats buying a cheap one now and then regretting it and buying an upgrade later.

I absolutely agree. If your praising a seaclone then you will be blown away when you upgrade to a more efficient skimmer. Hob skimmers are inefficient to begin with so really you get what you pay for when it comes to HOB models.

I don't disagree with you at all I guarantee that I will be blown away by the expensive ones, I want ones but right now I can't afford them, that's y I like the sea clone, just bc it's a cheap decent working skimmer for me

I also have an aqua c remora on a 30 gallon. Love it! And super easy to clean the cup!

Back
Top Bottom