Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandabradford

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im curious what people are using for a Skimmer for a 55 Gallon tank, anything i should look at or what i should look at and stay away from? Thanks

Well what I'm asking is if you have a sump that you will be putting it in, or are you looking for a hang on back of the tank style? :cool:

Ok so you will want an in-sump if I'm understanding correctly. There are some good brands out there, I like the Reef Octopus NWB skimmers... Check em out!

First - if you want it down below, you need to have/get/build a sump. If you don't want a sump you need a HOB unit.

In my sump, I have an SWC Cone - Mine is a 160 rated to about 150 gallons on a 90 gallon system. I love it! It works amazingly and is super quiet.

They do make smaller ones for your sized tank. But you should think about the "Plus One" rule. Buy slightly larger than you need - because when you upgrade - and you will - you want to be able to use some of the same equipment.

Last edited:
First - if you want it down below, you need to have/get/build a sump. If you don't want a sump you need a HOB unit.

In my sump, I have an SWC Cone - Mine is a 160 rated to about 150 gallons on a 90 gallon system. I love it! It works amazingly and is super quiet.

They do make smaller ones for your sized tank. But you should think about the "Plus One" rule. By slightly larger then you need - because when you upgrade - and you will - you want to be able to use some of the same equipment.

I agree with all of this too.

Not only should you get a skimmer rated for more than your system because of possible future upgrades, but also because manufacturers loosely rate these skimmers. I wouldn't want something rated for less than 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume (this means 55 gallons plus your sump).

+ 1 - evil corporations out to swindle us from our hard earned money! :)

Also the more bioload you have the larger the skimmer you want - one rated for a 100 gallon system may be ok for a light bioload 100 system - but if you start creeping up in livestock - chances are you will quickly outgrow your skimmer capabilities

Back
Top Bottom