protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of protein skimmer would you all recomend for a 36 gallon tank?

well... there are many many many options available just because just about every fish equip manf. knows that every salt tank owner needs to get one. So everyone is out there to have the best pictures on the box etc.

Take some advice from me, someone who started off on the WRONG track.

Although Seaclone Protein skimmers are cheap and actually do work, they take far too much time to get right, and then the foam production can sometimes take some time to start up. So its a little frustrating getting it all started.

You will want to invest in a good skimmer. You can actually build a nice skimmer, it may not look as fancy as a model off the store shelves, but believe me afterwords your wallet will still be looking fancy :)

OK, so assuming you dont want to do the research online finding out how to make one. ASM is the new good skimmer... I am actually expecting one in soon. However... the shipping is taking forever.... (of course not really the skimmers fault). But its a knock off of the Euro Reef models (the company split into two, and ASM was born)

Well there you have it.

Actually one question to wonder - what is your bio load like?

Of course a really heavy bio load would want to have something a bigger than what it is rated for. I bought the ASM G2 for a 75 gal tank.

Well goodluck on your seemingly endless journey to find a nice skimmer.

-Max

AquaC is a good company im very happy with mine. You could try a seaclone but i dont recommend it i had 2 of them and they sucked. Excaliburs are very good from what i hear also. Just look around and see whats in your price budget....remember you get what you pay for!

I'm running a CPR Bak-Pak 2R, upgraded to use a MaxiJet 1200 pump. Works well. You can find em online for $104.

I use seaclone's on my tanks. I love them, have never had a problem with them, and they fill about a cup every two to three days.

Many people here say they are junk, but i guess it is peronsal preference.

i use a aqua c remora HOB skimmer with the maxi jet 1200 up grade.

maxamillion, how do you like your ASM G2? i am thinking of getting one for my 75g in progress

steve r

Steve... I will have to tell you tomorrow, the company I bought it from is really taking its time (granted it was shipped ground and crossed over the weekend).

But yeah, hopefully I will have it set up tomorrow, my seaclone just isn't cutting it....

I have actually resorted to turning my entire tank into a huge skimmer recently. I put an airhose into the intake of my rio's and left them for 2 hours until no more foam was made... it worked great, and got my tank crystal clear in a few hours. It was my way of supplementing the Seaclone.

I'll keep everyone updated once I get in the ASM. I plan on plumbing it out of the sump, just because of the lack of space thats in the sump as it is.

I guess I shouldnt complain about space in the sump, as the 20gal long tank is a huge upgrade from the 10gal I had as a sump prior to that.

-Max

Thanks for all the help, there are so many out there its hard to chose. i have four fish: two clowns, yellow tail damsel, and bicolor blenny. Im thinking either the bak pak 2R or Aqua C.

I'd steer clear of the SeaClones honestly. CPR has the cheapest HOB skimmer that actually does enough to merit the cost of a skimmer. Prism's are about the worst, SeaClones a little better, especially if you modify them. Then you hit the CPR's and above them is the Aqua C. Remora's.

Back
Top Bottom