Protein skimmer?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in need of help here. i have a 50gal tank and i just dont know what skimmer to get, or even if i should get one. can someone let me know of a good one for a really good price... TIA!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest sea clone. Some people on this forum would probably say no to this but most people really have a lot of success with it.

Or maybe a bak pak?

You don't necessarily need a skimmer, but I think it really helps out with water quality and reduces fish loss in the long run.

i like remora but ive never used sea clone either. the remora is a little load and does put some micro bubbles into your tank.dont wast your money on the skimmer box though, a real pain

Yeah, you should get a skimmer, I suggest sea-clone or bak-pak. Protein skimmers help keep the water quality up but take essential nutrients out of the water. So you will have to rplace the trace elements with water changes, espeacially if your keeping a reef aquarium.

the seaclone discharges water from the top of the reaction chamber.. the absloute worst place that you would want it to discarge.. there is no way to adjust the water up further into the reacton chamber to get a good dry foam either.. the CCS collects the discarge water from the bottom (the best place to collect it) and you can adjust the water level all the way up to the cup if you wanted to (not exactly a good idea but at least you have the option if you know what I mean).. Its not that its a horrible product its just not very well designed and there is no way to modify it to collect the water at the bottom of the collection chamber without somehow completely sealing its output closed and lifting it up to the top of your tank to let the water out the bottom or the near bottom side.. this modification isnt done because of its complexty you might as well build a DIY skimmer with all the work you did to get a medeocer skimmer to run well...
the preskimmer on the remora might be a pain but... it will increase the effecency of the skimmer if you can actually get it to stay put and you have a good constant water level.. in the main tank that would require an auto topoff in the sump it would mean being behind a good set of baffels too keep the water constantly the same level..
and yes.. I agree that a skimmer would help.. a good one such as the CCS 125 would help alot.

i agree with the pre filter helping but i dont have a sump. i think im going to put a "u" pipe on the pump and run it to the top.over all a good skimmer.not familiar the ccs models.?

sweet you guys are awesome!!! i went ahead and ordered the CCS... i hope it helps!! Thanks!!!!!

DO NOT get a seaclone or a Prizm. I have a prizm and hate it and from what my customers and coworkers tell me it is worlds better than the seaclone. I would suggest the BakPak. Very good skimmer for a reasonable price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom