Protein skimmets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to get some input from everyone. I am looking to upgrade my protein skimmer. I am currently using a Coralife needle wheel skimmer in sump but I want to switch to an external skimmer. I was considering the Red Sea C Skim 1800 but I read conflicting reports. I want to invest in a really good skimmer that works consistently. My current one works fine except sometimes the adjustment gets off a little and it overflows water (which has subsequently flooded my cabinet) and I want to upsize so I will need to run externally due to space constraints. Any input is appreciated.

I would check out Reef Octopus, Aqua C EV's, or Bubble Magus. All have great reviews from members here. I am also running a Corallife right now, and these are my top 3, that I will be upgrading to. Pretty much middle of the road, as far as cost vs. efficiency, IMO.

I have the coralife cone 150g on my 75 and it's quite and does a good job IMO but its also the only skimmer i've owned

Keithhjs said:
I'm looking to get some input from everyone. I am looking to upgrade my protein skimmer. I am currently using a Coralife needle wheel skimmer in sump but I want to switch to an external skimmer. I was considering the Red Sea C Skim 1800 but I read conflicting reports. I want to invest in a really good skimmer that works consistently. My current one works fine except sometimes the adjustment gets off a little and it overflows water (which has subsequently flooded my cabinet) and I want to upsize so I will need to run externally due to space constraints. Any input is appreciated.

Im not sure your gonna find a external skimmer for your size and price range. Or are you takking about HOB skimmers? (hang on back)

External skimmers are usually very large meant for large systems where it fitting in a sump is not really possible. Such as for zoos/aquariums etc. they literally need their own small room. Thats about all i know about 'external skimmers'

Ah I guess I should have been more clear. I am looking to run a skimmer externally. There are many different ones that are external (outside of sump) available that are still in my price range and size. I am looking for one rated between 200-400 gallons, partly because I like to run one run one twice the working size and also for possibly upgrading to a larger aquarium. Also, I do have a separate room to run it in. I am installing it on the other side if the wall where I have plenty of unused space, right next to where I have my chiller and two 20 pound Co2 tanks. I was asking members that run one externally (or know someone who does) for recommendations on brands.

Yeah also I do not mean a hang on back one. I mean a stand alone. Most likely a Recirculating skimmer or possibly a spray injected or downdraft.

Back
Top Bottom