protein skmmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
help, I cannot decide if I need a skimmer for my Nano 12g. They really do not fit well. i can do water changes every two weeks. The rating on the one that fits my Nano is not a very good one. A bio cube protein skimmer

help, I cannot decide if I need a skimmer for my Nano 12g. They really do not fit well. i can do water changes every two weeks. The rating on the one that fits my Nano is not a very good one. A bio cube protein skimmer

From what others say here, you do not need one for a tank that small but that it would still benefit you to have one. I have no idea how much of a benefit it would be though. :)

I am contemplating adding one to my 20g as I have been reading great things about the AquaticLife nano skimmer that is now $48.00.

Skimmer or not, youll likely need to bump that PWC up to every week for a small tank like that.

Matt

you can never do too many water changes. if it's not enough, you'll see less than clear water, algae blooms, and overall poor tank health. if you are not removing the nutrients you are adding, eventually the tank will spoil.
i believe people call it "crashing".
as for a protein skimmer for a 12 gallon tank- i'd just skip it and watch your bio load, feeding, and nutrient export.

I agree. For that size tank just PWC`s will do. Also remember that PWC`s accomplish two things. They replenish trace elements and dilute excessive nutrients.

+1 to PWCs

I"ll be running a skimmer on my 12g nano, only because its pre-drilled and I have to run a sump. I don't expect it to pull much. I would imagine a gallon PWC a week should be enough to keep things in check.

The ASM Mini-G
ASM MINI-G Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

I inherited this setup from my brother (pat8you) when I had to downgrade and he had to upgrade. We both really like ASM skimmers, this being the smallest they have, and it gives me room to upgrade to maybe a 30 cube sometime down the road. Over skimming is rarely a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom