pseudotropheus socolofi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
We got this albino and think its pseudotropheus socolofi. Are we right?

Attachments

• image-1296399240.jpg
    image-1296399240.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3910464509.jpg
    image-3910464509.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3762347135.jpg
    image-3762347135.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1469502193.jpg
    image-1469502193.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-126446905.jpg
    image-126446905.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 99
Thanks. I pretty much love this one! And I liked that it was actually albino and not just white. Has the reddish eyes and everything. Any way to tell if he's a he or she's a she?

It has egg spots on the anal(back) fin so id say its a boy

Females have egg spots as well so don't ever use that method to sex a fish. In general there are two methods to confirm sex, first is to vent the fish and the second is witness her spitting fry. There are some differences in the dorsal/anal fins as they age but that's when they are larger.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Females have egg spots as well so don't ever use that method to sex a fish. In general there are two methods to confirm sex, first is to vent the fish and the second is witness her spitting fry. There are some differences in the dorsal/anal fins as they age but that's when they are larger.

I am terrified to try and vent. What if it squiggles out of my hand??? Eek!! You come do it!!!

Maybe somewhere, i'm not sure. What's the best way to do it? I feel bad having the fish out of water. How long is a "safe" length of time to keep him out? Oh i'm starting to sweat now......

Here's a good link, they get a little crazy with the jewelers lense but a good quality magnifying glass is invaluable. Shoot for around 30 secones with wet hands and place the fish on a wet terrycloth towel.

Male or Female?

I am terrified to try and vent. What if it squiggles out of my hand??? Eek!! You come do it!!!

I feel the same way about venting as you do. So I buy a few and if they turn out to be female I keep them. If they turn out to be male, they go back to the FS.
I have a very understanding FS and they know they are getting a healthy fish back from me. So they just put them back in the tank and sell them again, for more money because they are so much bigger and healthier. And I get a couple more. It's like foster care for fish.
So far I've been good at guessing who the girls are, I haven't had to return a whole lot of males. But I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, unless you too have an understanding FS.

Wendi , then I will post pics from my phone when in the fish store and you guess if they are M or F ok lol I think my method is giving them a boy name and then watching in delight but mystified that they are holding. :)

Wendi , then I will post pics from my phone when in the fish store and you guess if they are M or F ok lol I think my method is giving them a boy name and then watching in delight but mystified that they are holding. :)

It doesn't work with pics. unfortunately. Really clear video sometimes, but as you can guess it's not 100%.. In the last year I've been about 70% right. And all but 1 of the fish that ended up male went back. The Kenyi that grew up into a male, we kept. I have no luck with guessing about Kenyi's, They are to much alike as Juvi's. I can't tell a thing until they change, but then everyone else can see for themselves.
In fact my Kenyi's just had a whole bunch of fry 4 days ago and other than tiny and all blue, I know nothing.

The pic is one that I thougth was a male. appears SHE is holding....

LOL Im about to start a 55g build for Mbuna so Ill keep that in mind.
35049-albums1659-picture13809.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom