Puffer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings.

I have a 75 gallon fish-only tank. I have 4 Blue-Green Reef Chromis, 2 Percula Clows, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Gramma Basslet, 1 Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, and 1 White Spotted Puffer.

My question has to do with the Puffer. Last night while watching everyone frolick in the tank, I noticed that the Puffer had seemingly "attached" himself to a large piece of fake coral. The coral is branched like a tree and stands about 24 inches tall. The puffer had positioned himself perpindicularly to the bottom of the tank. It was one of the strangest sights I'd ever seen (not that I've seen all that many strange sights). He didn't look distressed. I watched him and he just seemed to be content to look around. About five minutes or so passed before he "dismounted" and started swimming again. Now is this normal behavior or is it some kind of distress signal? The water tests out ok. The NO2 is 0, the NH4 is 0, the NO3 is 0 and the ph is a little low, about 7.0. Thanks

Now is this normal behavior or is it some kind of distress signal?

IME, that is normal behavior. However, I have no doubt that if your other fish aren't already stressed from being in the tank with this guy they will be.

ph is a little low, about 7.0. Thanks

You are seriously over due for a water change, that is not a little low, that is way low.

Water Changes

I do 10% every week.

If you know, how is it that the Puffer can somehow attach itself to the coral and look so comical?

I believe most puffers skin is kinda bristlly, I think it's a velcro effect ;) Either that or it just wedges itself in a forked piece of decoration.

Back
Top Bottom