Puffer Tank Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
It has been around 6 months since my figure 8 puffer's unfortunate death ( didn't have a tank cover, jumped in the middle of the night ). I kept him in freshwater then and didn't really want to switch to brackish, but now I've decided to make my tank brackish this time. I'm still relatively inexperienced to fish keeping. Currently my tank is inhabited with Java ferns and mosses and I'm dosing liquid fertiliser with monthly changes. Now, what I want to know is if I've got all the material I need to restart and improve on this tank. So this is what I have:

15 Gallon Tank
Marine salt
Hydrometer
Overhang filter ( local brand )
Sponge filter
API master test kit
LED light
Gravel substrate
API water conditioner
Gravel vacuum
Fish nets
No heater because I live in the tropics
5 gallon bucket for breeding snails
Freeze dried krill

Is this all I need? Could anyone tell me what I'm forgetting? And if you have any suggestions for other stuff I need please feel free to comment.
Thanks in advance! :)

It has been around 6 months since my figure 8 puffer's unfortunate death ( didn't have a tank cover, jumped in the middle of the night ). I kept him in freshwater then and didn't really want to switch to brackish, but now I've decided to make my tank brackish this time. I'm still relatively inexperienced to fish keeping. Currently my tank is inhabited with Java ferns and mosses and I'm dosing liquid fertiliser with monthly changes. Now, what I want to know is if I've got all the material I need to restart and improve on this tank. So this is what I have:

15 Gallon Tank
Marine salt
Hydrometer
Overhang filter ( local brand )
Sponge filter
API master test kit
LED light
Gravel substrate
API water conditioner
Gravel vacuum
Fish nets
No heater because I live in the tropics
5 gallon bucket for breeding snails
Freeze dried krill

Is this all I need? Could anyone tell me what I'm forgetting? And if you have any suggestions for other stuff I need please feel free to comment.
Thanks in advance! :)

Get a head start on that snail colony before you get the puffer.

why not just get a frshwater puffer?

Freshwater puffers? The only ones that fit this tank are pea puffers and red eyed puffer right? Well I can't find red eyed puffers anywhere and I didn't really want to keep pea puffers just because of the fact that they reach a maximum of 1 inch in length.

In my experience, if puffers get bored or hungry, they nip. Some do it just to be butt holes and that's their personality. Thus why most people keep puffers in species only tanks. That's what I would recommend. Anything other than dwarf puffers and it will out grow the 15 gallon.

Best bet is to upgrade your tank size in order to keep a larger sized puffer if that's your intentions. Pea Puffers, in my experience, have done well with pygmy cories. I had a 5.5 gallon with 4 pygmy cories (holding them for my girlfriend while tank cycled) and a pea puffer. I never had a single problem with the puffer and the cories but I also had a lot of things for the puffer to explore and rearranged the decorations on water change days so he wouldn't get bored.

You should get a dwarf puffer I have never owned one but I hear they are great little guys!

I've also heard that they are fun-loving and energetic little guys- but I just want something a little bigger. Is it possible to put two red eyed puffers in a 15 gallon? (Assuming there's a lot hiding places to break the line of sight)

Also, I'm fairly certain that a 15 gallon is sufficient to keep both a single figure 8 puffer or a single red eyed puffer, not just dwarf puffers.

They just need a lot of territory. I don't see why two puffers wouldn't work in a 15 gallon unless their personalities disallow it. I think most people recommend 30 gallon tanks for any size puffers other than dwarf puffers due to the simple fact that they need swimming room to avoid being bored. That's when territory comes into play. I encourage you to at least try. You may get two really compatible puffers and have a success tank.

Back
Top Bottom