Pump for UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bearat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I purchased a 15 watt UV sterilizer and it arrived today!!! My excitement was short lived. After opening the box I realized the unit did not come with a pump.

My Question: What size/type pump would you guys use? The instructions included never state what flow rate should be maintained thru the unit and I'm sort of at a loss. The tubing connections are 1/2 inch, if that helps. While we're on the subject.... would any of you plumb it directly from/to the display tank? Most of what I read says to just have it connected to the fuge/sump.

FYI here's basically the set up I have: 150 gallon drilled display tank with lots of live rock, fish, little bit of coral. The filter is 30 gallon tank that has been divided into three sections. First section is largest and has ~2in sand bed, few cleaner clams and a bunch of chaeto growing. Water overflows to second section which has broken up live rock with sponge on top. Then to third section that contains the protien skimmer and the return pump.

Do you have a brand name and model of the UV unit? I don't use one so I don't have a recommendation from personal experience, but hopefully someone here will either have the same brand and size as you or at least one of similar size and wattage.

Mini-Jet MN606 82–153gph

I have only had the turbo twist 6x (18W) & the current gamma (15w) & I used this pump with both. It is made by the same people that make maxi-jet. This pump is small and has a switch to inc flow from 82 to 153 gph, so no flow meter is needed. It is also cheap, costs $16.49, and reliable, & takes 1/2 tubing or PVC. You need to follow the UV sterilzer instructions for the right flow rate as slower will kill larger bugs like parasites (ich), faster kills bacteria, then algae; if too fast it will be ineffective, too slow and your unit might melt under the heat of the UV lamp.
Most people I know do NOT plumb it in line with the drain as it will lead to the UV light window getting dirty too quickly, making it ineffective. They usually go to great lenghts to filter the intake in one way or another. Besides, it needs to be in a handy location for you to clean this window every few months and change the UV bulb yearly.

Back
Top Bottom