Pump for Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I use a Python on my 55-gallon tank, but when it comes to my 20-gallon, I don't have access to a faucet. I can syphon water out very easily, but I was thinking of getting a small pump to pump water back into the tank from the bucket. This would save me the trouble of having to pour water and avoid any mess. The pump would have to lift four feet maximum if it was on the ground. I could even set it on a chair to gain a couple feet. Anyone have any recommendations?

Yup. Go to Lowes and pick up a 250 to 300 gallon per hour pond pump. Look out in the plant area & ask for pond supplies. Then go to the area with pvc pipe and other plastic pipe and get some 1/2 inch inside diameter clear plastic tubing. Say 5 or 6 foot. In my Lowes the hose clamps are at the end of this aisle. Get one to fit the tubing. Put tubing on pump, attach clamp and you are good to go.

But the pump has no switch, so the only way initialy to turn it on and off is with the plug. Then my wonderful G/F found this
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...ension+cord&origkw=remote+extension+cord&sr=1
at Ace Hardware. You plug it in, plug the pump into it, and have a long cord with a switch on the end. This setup will empty a 5 gal bucket in less than 2 minutes. To avoid blowing plants around too much, I direct the stream of water into my hand to deflect it.

If this seems too strong for your needs, a small powerhead like this
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+14665&pcatid=14665
will work well. Again, attach a length of tubing and fill. I use it for smaller tanks. It is slower and will be even slower with a 4 ft head. I use it more for tanks at floor level.

My appologies if I detailed stuff you already know, but it often saves time. lol

HTH, Jeffrey

That sounds perfect. I have a plug available so I won't need a switch. Thank you very much!

i used an old power head with a ball value to control the flow rate works great

by the way, since i have three tanks going, 52 gal flatback hex, 29 gal and a 30 gal hex, i use a 30 gal plastic garbage can that's on a dolly. i fill it up the day before and run the powerhead and add prime. i'll do the 52 with 50% pwc one day the i'll do 15 gals each on the 29 & 30. i gravel vac the old water into 5 gal buckets then dump on lawn. the powerhead i use is an aquaclear. don't know the model, but its one of the bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom