Pump Problems HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeganNoel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few days ago my fish tank pump started to spit bubbles. I thought one of the filters must be a bit dirty so I took them all out and cleaned them. This fixed the problem until the next day when I woke up and it was starting to spit bubbles again. So again I cleaned all the filters out and again this seemed to fix the problem. So I get up today and again it is blowing bubbles. I try and clean out the filters, check to see if anything is clogged but this time it doesn't fix it.

I even cleaned the pump (I clean the filters and pump normally every 5 to 10 days depending on how dirty they are getting).

Every time I turn on the pump now it just blows a steady stream of bubbles into the water. What could be the problem?

I can't go to the pet store until Monday (it's Saturday night or rather early Sunday morning). Is it better to have the pump blowing bubbles into the tank or is it better to leave it unplugged? What can I do to keep my fish healthy and safe until I can find out what is wrong with the pump?

(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to place it)

Thanks for the help!

Do you mean bubbles in the water thats coming out of the filter?Or just bubbles and no water?

What kind of filter?HOB or canister?Brand?Size?

Blowing bubbles can be from many sources. Also depends on the type of filter. What filter do you have?

One source is if the tank is planted, and the plants are pearling, that means the water is saturated with O2, and will cause some air to be burped out of the filter. Another possibility is a leak in one of the lines going either in the filter or out. Another possibility is if the filter has a place to add an airline to blow air in the output of the filter, if it's plugged, but the plug is loose, it could be sucking air in through the plug if it's not in tight. It is called a venturi I believe.

But like stated above, the problem will depend on what filter you have. Let us know more info on what you have. Also, the blowing of the bubbles won't hurt anything at all..

Also, the blowing of the bubbles won't hurt anything at all..
LOL ...meant to add that as it seems to be the major concern..geeze I'm a goob.

I'll agree since I forgot....bubbles are fine.

I have an Aqua 65 tank http://forum.punkyfish.nl/board/www/forum.php/list_messages/16224 if you scroll down to the 3rd picture this is the aquarium I have. This is not mine exactly but everything I find on the tank is in Dutch usually, I hope seeing it a little helps. (don't know what filtration system it is exactly).

The filtration system is attached to the tank (it comes all set up and ready to use). It sits inside the tank, sucks water through one side where it crosses over 3 filters and gets pumped out the other side of the filter system.

I have tropical fish such as guppies, a gourami, a beta, and several bottom fish like whiptail catfish, kuhli's, shrimp and snails.

I cleaned everything out again last night and left the filter system off for about an hour. When I plugged it back in it stopped blowing bubbles again.

Lots of bubbles in the water that is coming out of the filter. It's still circulating everything but with hordes of bubbles (and a bit noisy, not quiet like now when it is not blowing bubbles).

I'm not familier with that tank exactly but to me the bottom line is,if air is coming out than air is getting in.

Check all the seals...paying particular attention to the area(s) that are not under water.Its pulling air into the intake from somewhere and that is getting mixed with the water and pumped into the tank.That also explains why the pump is louder as well.

HTH

This is a nano type filtration system the "intake" is a grill on he backwall of the aquarium seperating the open filtration slots. There really is no way that this filtration system can be getting air in it as its just an overflow basically.

I guess if you have a pourous sponge, be sure that it is totally saturated with no air in it before you start pumping.

Because of the type of this filter, don't shut it off and clean it when it starts bubbling a little, this could be causing it in my eyes. Let it run and maybe it will work the small amount of air that is in it out. Make sure of course that it doesn't run dry or anything.

Are you sure its not just from the return splashing a little in the water making it appear as air bubbles?

Last night the tank started spitting bubbles again. There is a tag on the filter system itself marking how high and low the water level can be. The water level was about a half inch under the highest it is allowed to be. I filled it right up to the line for maximum water in the tank and it stopped spitting bubbles immediately.

I find it odd that if it gets a little below the maximum fill line that it's starting to suck in air somehow. It never used to, I used to keep the water level about a half inch below the maximum fill line. I've had the tank a year now with that level of water and never had trouble before.

I know very little about filtration systems. When it gets to blowing bubbles within a half day it's so bad that bubbles are coming out in a constant stream, bubbles start clinging to the plants and sides of the tank.

That certainly narrows it down- Check the stuff inside your tank that isn't underwater when the water is lower, and is underwater when you fill it. Probably on the intake side. You're looking for a crack in the tubing or something similiar.

Back
Top Bottom