Purchased used 24gal aquapod, moving tips..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Greg-

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a used 24 gal aquapod, it is up and running with the following:

Self contained saltwater nano reef tank with built in lighting and filtration. Currently running and in good condition. All fish and corals are healthy and thriving. Includes: 25lbs. live rock, 20lbs. Carib-sea indo pacific black/white live sand, crocea clam, feather duster, hammer coral, torch coral, neon yellow cinularia, green finger leather, several asst. mushrooms, brairium sp. frag, candy coral, feather caulerpa. Fish are: Chalk Basslet, Rusty Angel, Hector's Goby. Also, asst. snails and hermits.

I am picking up the aquarium on Sunday and have about an 1 1/2 drive. It has been in the 80's here in socal so hopefully the water will transport fine in a handfull of 5 gal buckets with lids. I have been reading about the various methods of transporting the fish/water/corals etc. and I plan on saving as much water as possible while trying not to disturb the sand. However I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to remove the corals/mushroms/feathers etc. from the live rock, or can I put the live rock with all of them attached into a large rubbermade barrel and cover with the water? If I need to remove them, what is the best way?

2. Can the fish ride together with the snails and hermits in the same barrel?

Any other tips suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I am so looking forward to my first nano!!!

Greg

Below are pictures from the seller:

Attachments

• 11012a14aZZZZZZZZZ8an134eb36da5a41ccf.jpg
    11012a14aZZZZZZZZZ8an134eb36da5a41ccf.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 1291361g7ZZZZZZZZZ8anf3143b4606bc1949.jpg
    1291361g7ZZZZZZZZZ8anf3143b4606bc1949.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 126135142ZZZZZZZZZ8anddf9cbda3afc137d.jpg
    126135142ZZZZZZZZZ8anddf9cbda3afc137d.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 78
I imagine you could put the corals in a clean 5 gallon bucket if the temps are OK. If it`s cold out you`d need to bag them and put them in a insulated cooler. If you put them in the bucket just make sure they cant fall on each other esp the frogspawn. The LR you could use a cooler and just put wet (SW) newspaper on top of it and it should be OK. That`s what they do when they ship LR to you. One important thing to think about is that if this tank has been going for awhile the substrate will be quite nasty. From all the moving around it will stir it up. My suggestion would be to take a good bit of the water in 5 gallon jugs or buckets and ditch the sand already in there and get new sand. Then add everything back in. You`ll probably need some extra SW made up to add for what was lost during the process. Hope all goes well. BTW welcome to AA

Thanks for the great advice, would I need to purchase "live sand" ? You have great looking tank as well!

Greg

I plan on stopping at a lfs on my way down to pick up the aquapod on Sunday, I will add the sand to my list. Again, thanks!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom