purchasing live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am purchasing my live rock from liverocks.com and when i go to the purchase page it ask for special notes, size/color ,or instructions. i am wondering what i should put, i want the dark purple of coarse, but this is my first purchase of live rock and the live rock i am going to cycle my aquarium, i am planning on getting 40 lbs. to start out with.

TIN

Andy

Best thing to do is to call them directly and talk with Mike or Zack. they are vey helpful and will ask some very specific questions about your tank then hand-pick the rock for you. While they are picking it out and boxing it up you can confirm your order over the internet via PayPal and it is a done deal. Excellent customer service, they will not let you down. What type of rock are you getting?

Ya I second the call their number and see if you can talk to one of them. That way you can explain to them the size of tank and the size of the rocks you want and coloration, etc.

i am going to be getting the keys rock. i have a 55 gallon aquarium, if that help anyone.

All I have to say is they are VERY nice people.

Me and the wife stopped by on our way back from vacation, to pick up a few lbs of rock.

We were shopping for around 40lbs of keys. They had a large selection to pick from, and towards the end, we got to watch them unload their truck with their new shipment. We were able to hand pick a lot of great pieces. Now its a matter of trying to place them in the tank and be happy with the arrangement.

It is really great, the amount of life that comes on these rocks. If you are able to travel to their location, its a must.

In short, we went in looking for 40lbs and came out with just under 90 :p

After a 8 hour trip home, and a quick trip from the box to the tank, i was then left for the next 20 minutes trying to chase all the small crabs and shrimp/star fish out of the containers and into my tank.

Again, kudos for Mike and his crew, we were really happy with the selection and service.

Pics to come soon.

Wow, sounds like a great place to buy rocks.

Well, I would also suggest if you can find a credible LFS in your area who can provide you with LR in the $5.99/lb (not base rock). It's a lot exciting hand picking rocks your own too.

With that said, since you're in middle america, most of your LRs there were probably ordered from Mike and Zack to begin with. The only difference is, it is you and not them who gets to hand pick.

Both are great ways to get LRs. Just don't get it from Ebay. I did mine (in hopes of finding the best deal) and ended up getting a 20 lb base rock for $4.99/lb. I disputed through Pay Pal and got all my money back. Used that money to buy rocks from the LFS. had a great time. But the dispute process wasn't fun at all. So I promised never to buy anything live from the internet.

Experiences vary. There are tons of hobbyists out there who had great results from liverock.com and marinedepotlive.com. The difference between the two, one's from Florida and one's from Orange County California. Both great places to shop from, I heard.

Back
Top Bottom