pure ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have what I thought might be pure ammonia to cycle my tank with, but am not sure. It only has ammonium hydroxide listed on the bottle, but it is a list of active ingredients. Would they have put surfactants in the bottle and not list it on the label (as inactive perhaps)?

This is the only bottle I've found that might come close to what I need to have. However, when I shook the bottle as the fishless cycle thread suggested, it did bubble, which is why I'm asking here.

I found it at Walgreens, if that matters. Nothing in Wal-Mart, Target, or even the local hardware store. All of those did say on the label that they contained surfactants.

It will bubble a little regardless. If the label only reads ammonia hydroxide that's what you want, they usually come in a 10% solution.

Can you find the product on their website and link us to it?

I clicked over to the ingredients tab on that page, and it says "Active Ingredients: Ammonium Hydroxide (CAS 1336-21-6) , Perfume , Dye" but it doesn't say that on the bottle itself.

Here's a related product, lemon fresh.
Walgreens Lemon Fresh Ammonia All Purpose Cleaner | Walgreens

I'm wondering if they just copied/pasted most of the product description from the lemon fresh variety to the clear one? Isn't ammonia normally clear? And this bottle certainly doesn't smell like any perfume was put in it.

Did the label refers to any dilution? Like 10% ?

Bubbles are fine while shaking, as long as they don't create foam, and they disappear immediately.

Pure ammonia

I checked the link that you attached, and I saw the price of the gallon, based on the price looks like is diluted ammonia, which should be fine,

I don't know the dilution but when you start to use it, you can add drops to the tank and start to measure until you find out how many drops are needed to get to your target ammonia ppm.

Did the label refers to any dilution? Like 10% ?

Bubbles are fine while shaking, as long as they don't create foam, and they disappear immediately.

No, it doesn't refer to any diluted quantity.

No, the bubbles don't disappear immediately, and it does look more foamy than bubbly. :drain:

ammonia

Based on your last post, maybe is not pure!

I heard that if is not pure, it can create a mess in your tank, maybe other people can help you with more info.

I don't think I'd risk it personally. if it does have perfumes, dyes, or surfactants in it it'll wreak havoc on your tank. Do you have an Ace Hardware near you? They carry a janitorial strength 10% solution that's perfect.

I clicked over to the ingredients tab on that page, and it says "Active Ingredients: Ammonium Hydroxide (CAS 1336-21-6) , Perfume , Dye" but it doesn't say that on the bottle itself.

If it has perfumes or dyes I would think you should stay away from it. According to what I've read those things could adversely affect your tank. I'm going out tomorrow to find some ammonia myself. If I find a good product, I'll update you.

Excellent. This is the stuff you want.

pACE-951690dt.jpg

Just purchased the same brand/different bottle that neilahn posted (by coincidence). Started my fishless cycle today. Bottle indicates that it is 10% ammonium hydroxide. Biggest challenge I'm having is getting to 5 ppm in my 60 gallon tank. Been adding slowly so as to not overdose. Have added 20 ml so far and my last check indicated that I was still at 1 ppm. I'm going to add another 10 ml and recheck in the morning. After I get it to 5 ppm I'm going to swap one of the filter media from my cycled 29 gallon tank into the fishless tank. I'll try and keep you posted on my results.

Back
Top Bottom