purigen in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so yeah I googled after I posted the question... lol. Its an actual bone from a fish.

I may eventually dabble in dry fert, but for now I'll just order from amazon.

I think ill order some purigen as well and give it a try since I seem to have plenty of nitrates at the moment. Where should I place it in my filter? I have a fluval 306 so should it be the last thing or just before the bio media? (Ceramic rings) like after the sponges but before the rings?

This is to address to the OP, please tell us your experience with Purigen as I am also considering buying some.

Especially interested in the water clarity aspect.

Thanks

This is to address to the OP, please tell us your experience with Purigen as I am also considering buying some.

Especially interested in the water clarity aspect.

Thanks

I haven't used it, that's why I posted the question! So I can get information from those with experience using it in their planted tanks.

I haven't used it, that's why I posted the question! So I can get information from those with experience using it in their planted tanks.

I think the poster meant she want to hear your experiences when you have some since you said you were buzyjng it. I would like to hear as well as I would like some but dont want to hurt my plants.

Ok so yeah I googled after I posted the question... lol. Its an actual bone from a fish.

I may eventually dabble in dry fert, but for now I'll just order from amazon.

I think ill order some purigen as well and give it a try since I seem to have plenty of nitrates at the moment. Where should I place it in my filter? I have a fluval 306 so should it be the last thing or just before the bio media? (Ceramic rings) like after the sponges but before the rings?

I run Fluval 406's and from bottom to top I do the black sponges followed by 100% polyfill packed in tight. Next comes the chemical filtration, which would be Purgen, then the bio-media last.

I run Fluval 406's and from bottom to top I do the black sponges followed by 100% polyfill packed in tight. Next comes the chemical filtration, which would be Purgen, then the bio-media last.

That was my initial plan, only I hate polyfill.

Heads up to the others I will not be purchasing the purigen anytime soon. I think way ahead on things and it can take me weeks to months to follow through. For my fish hobby I have to budget conservativly.

I dI'd grab some API leafzone at petco for a quick fix and a pack of root tabs. The leaf zone takes way to much to dose though! (5ml for 10 gallons!) The flourish products are more concentrated and thus more cost effective. I will order the macros on amazon at some point. But at least my plants are fed for the time being.

I just realized, we moved about a year ago and that's when my plants stopped thiving! So this water where I am now must be low in something. Even the plants in the kids little tanks, that I used to have to thin regularly, are barely surviving.

I just realized, we moved about a year ago and that's when my plants stopped thiving! So this water where I am now must be low in something. Even the plants in the kids little tanks, that I used to have to thin regularly, are barely surviving.

Sounds like you found the culprit!

Sounds like you found the culprit!

Yes with the addition of the leafzone and root tabs yesterday I already see new growth so most definitely a defciency. A new leaf on my melon sword is nice and red and it has just been growing green.

Yes with the addition of the leafzone and root tabs yesterday I already see new growth so most definitely a defciency. A new leaf on my melon sword is nice and red and it has just been growing green.

Thats great!

Thats great!

Yes it is exciting! I was actually wonderont if my lights were the problem and I started thinking about the kids tanks which are usually bursting with overgrowth they are so sparse and there is some algae but its manageable. So definitely a water quality issue! I've not had this oroblem before so I need to get used to having to dose macros regularly. Previously I'd dose sporadically when I remembered and get root tabs maybe a couple times a year. Looks like ill have to get root tabs more often.

Yes it is exciting! I was actually wonderont if my lights were the problem and I started thinking about the kids tanks which are usually bursting with overgrowth they are so sparse and there is some algae but its manageable. So definitely a water quality issue! I've not had this oroblem before so I need to get used to having to dose macros regularly. Previously I'd dose sporadically when I remembered and get root tabs maybe a couple times a year. Looks like ill have to get root tabs more often.

I need to figure out whats wrong with my tank now lol I have one tank not growing plants well lol

That was my initial plan, only I hate polyfill.

Heads up to the others I will not be purchasing the purigen anytime soon. I think way ahead on things and it can take me weeks to months to follow through. For my fish hobby I have to budget conservativly.

I dI'd grab some API leafzone at petco for a quick fix and a pack of root tabs. The leaf zone takes way to much to dose though! (5ml for 10 gallons!) The flourish products are more concentrated and thus more cost effective. I will order the macros on amazon at some point. But at least my plants are fed for the time being.

Flourish doesn't have potassium like leaf zone does though.. That's why I said get the larger bottle at petsmart for $14.. And 5ml per 10g isn't that much really... 1 cap full is good for your tank you have a 20g right ? That stuff only needs to be dosed once a week.. even the small bottle will last quiet awhile for your single tank.. My small bottle lasted a month or so and I used it in 3 tanks.

As for the purigen someone mentioned they wanted to know your experience.. im using 2 100ml bags in my 55g to clean up the really murky water from the tannins on the driftwood every 24 hours when I wake up in the morning the tank is much much clearer.. the stuff really works... I might do a 50% water change here though as it seems my wood is leaching tannins quickly.. the purigen is working but working slowely so it might be better to remove 50% of the tannins via water change to help it out..

Flourish doesn't have potassium like leaf zone does though.. That's why I said get the larger bottle at petsmart for $14.. And 5ml per 10g isn't that much really... 1 cap full is good for your tank you have a 20g right ? That stuff only needs to be dosed once a week.. even the small bottle will last quiet awhile for your single tank.. My small bottle lasted a month or so and I used it in 3 tanks.

As for the purigen someone mentioned they wanted to know your experience.. im using 2 100ml bags in my 55g to clean up the really murky water from the tannins on the driftwood every 24 hours when I wake up in the morning the tank is much much clearer.. the stuff really works... I might do a 50% water change here though as it seems my wood is leaching tannins quickly.. the purigen is working but working slowely so it might be better to remove 50% of the tannins via water change to help it out..

The seachem lines sell individual bottles of potassium, iron, etc... and they are more concentrated thus much more cost effective.

My tank is 60 gallons so it took 30ml to dose my tank. I dosed the 30ml of leafzone and 5-6ml flourish comprehensive. It will be more cost effective to order the potassium and iron from seachem and be able to just dose 5ml of each as needed. I am probably going to get an iron test kit at some point as well... I don't want to overdo it

My flourish usually lasts 6 months.

Honestly liquid ferts are not cost effective at all unless you have a tiny tank. Dry ferts cost about $15 for your 3 macro nutrients and all your micro nutrients and can last for years depending on the size of your tank.

So the 3 macros and the 1/2 lb of micros is all you need? And it all comes in one package for $15? Wow I thought it was a lot more expensive and complicated than that!

So the 3 macros and the 1/2 lb of micros is all you need? And it all comes in one package for $15? Wow I thought it was a lot more expensive and complicated than that!

Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums.... here's the package for $15. You can buy their dosing bottles or use whatever containers you have.

You can dose PPS-Pro or El. I use PPS-Pro which means I mix the above ferts with RO or Distilled water and dose daily on larger tanks and on my low light tanks I dose once a week after a WC. It's not complicated. I do monitor my nitrates and phosphates once a week to be sure my levels are where I want them to be. Then I can adjust my ferts the next week if needed. Honestly I rarely ever dose nitrates as most of my tanks run right at 10ppm. Which is why I also mix my nitrates in a separate bottle than my potassium and phosphates.

Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums.... here's the package for $15. You can buy their dosing bottles or use whatever containers you have.

You can dose PPS-Pro or El. I use PPS-Pro which means I mix the above ferts with RO or Distilled water and dose daily on larger tanks and on my low light tanks I dose once a week after a WC. It's not complicated. I do monitor my nitrates and phosphates once a week to be sure my levels are where I want them to be. Then I can adjust my ferts the next week if needed. Honestly I rarely ever dose nitrates as most of my tanks run right at 10ppm. Which is why I also mix my nitrates in a separate bottle than my potassium and phosphates.

Ill have to post a separate thread if I order dry... ill need to figure out how much to mix and what the goal is to keep the levels at. My tanks are all low tech. One 60 gallon tank and two 10 gallon tanks.

Here's a good read about PPS-Pro but only read the opening post not all the comments after. It gives the proper amounts BUT unless you have really soft water you don't need MgSO4, magnesium sulfate. And as I already stated I mix nitrates in their own bottle and phosphates with potassium in another bottle.

Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Planted tank levels are usually good with nitrates at 10-20ppm and phosphates at 1-5ppm.

Back
Top Bottom