Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
Asked this question on another thread about removing nitrate s from my tap water (my tap water contains 20ppm nitrates) has anyone heard anything abut purigen? What it does how it works???

I also would like to know about this as my tap water is the same

No it will not work. Purigen removes dissolved organics before the organics can release ammonia. If you have less ammonia, then you end up with less nitrates.

If you have high nitrates, then think about algae turf scrubber or running your water through pond matrix. Both require you using more resources. Fast growing plants are a little too messy IMO. If you want more hassle, then look into ro/di units. You'll have to replenish the water with some good nutrients and minerals after you run it through the unit.

You could try Duckweed or water lettuce. Under good lighting it is the best consumer of nitrates. You will have to remove some every week though it grows very fast. My tropical tank has duckweed and water lettuce. My nitrates are always under 5. I can truly change the water once a month. Purigen is an awesome product though for removing tannins from driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom