Purple Cabomba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I made an impulse purchase of Purple Cabomba during my last LFS trip.

I really love it. I planted it in my 55g. It's been all of 3 days. But I have been doing some research, and pretty worried my tank is not suitable. Eeks. I hate watching plants die.

I dose liquid carbon daily. Not in a financial position to change to a canister system. I use liquid ferts, Flourish, 2-3 times a week and dose Iron weekly. I am running a dual T5HO for about 7 hrs. That may change. Have to see algae growth and such.

It's a Rainbow tank. With a brush nosed Pleco and 2 assassin snails.

So here is the actual question, when I planted the 2 bunches, they did not have visible roots. Should I unplant and allow them to float until I see roots? Or will they grow planted? Or am I doomed?

The other plants in this tank are doing great.

My Rainbows love the plant. As do I.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What liquid carbon are you dosing daily and how much? You can leave the plant planted. It'll develop roots better that way.

I dose Excel. Following the instructions daily. Unless I forget.

I believe the instructions set forth on the excel bottle are geared towards lower light tanks. I could be wrong as I have only grown cabomba in moderate to high light with co2 injection, but I think it's fairly a fast growing stem plant. Therefore, it's needy of light, carbon, and ferts. You may have to increase the dosage of carbon. I know some dose glut (a la, metricide 14), which is about 2x stronger than excel, in their moderate/high light tanks at 1mL/gal daily. You might have to research and find a middle ground between that and standard excel dosing. Again, I'm not an expert in the upper limits of liquid carbon dosing... so perhaps someone can chime in on that aspect or some research would shed light. Otherwise, pressurized co2 would be best.

Interesting. Maybe I will try doubling my dose in this tank. Never thought there would be different dosages based on light requirements. Cool.

Will more carbon hurt my other plants if they don't need it?

Will more carbon hurt my other plants if they don't need it?

No, it will just cost you more money in wasted carbon. It may also kill your fish if you dose way too much (over 2 ml/gallon) or increase dose too rapidly. Some plants melt/die with liquid carbon/glut, including many mosses, anacharis, val's.

Back
Top Bottom