Purple Leaves on Amazon Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello again plant experts,

I have a planted 29 gal which has been up and running for 3 years. I've been doing some minor rescaping lately and trying to get some of my sword plants to recover from previous poor care. Two of the swords have taken off and look great. One looks ok, and the other is a little off. The new leaves it produces are purple and translucent.

I'd been using Osmocote + root tabs, dosing with glut (15 mL per day, full strength), and flourish once a week. In the past two weeks I've started using PPS Pro daily and injecting co2. I have the Ecoxotic E-Series lights.

I'm sure this is some sort of nutrient deficiency but I'm not too sure what. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So you moved the sword?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster,

Yeah I moved it about a month ago. I tucked a root tab near it when I did so. Maybe the roots are still establishing?

I guess I should note that this particular plant in question came from a much larger plant which died. I chopped all the leaves off except for two or three green ones, then realized the green leaves were a separate plant growing in a rotting root mass. Removed good plant from the bad root bundle and replanted, then moved it after a few weeks. And now we are here, with purple leaves.

Post a pic? May just be recovering?? I'm not familiar with proper propagation of swords..

I'll snap a pic when I do my water change tonight. I'll probably pull the leaves out too.

I've replanted my swords a couple times since this summer and it's the first time I've seen purple leaves.

I need to invest in a phosphate test kit. And a better solution in my drop checker. Anyone want to share some 4 KH solution? Lol

I just ordered a 250 ml deal off ebay.. like $8 shipped.

That's handy. I'd make some myself, but my scale is not nearly accurate enough.

Anyway, I will get a picture of the plant in question tonight and see what you think.

Hello again plant experts,

I have a planted 29 gal which has been up and running for 3 years. I've been doing some minor rescaping lately and trying to get some of my sword plants to recover from previous poor care. Two of the swords have taken off and look great. One looks ok, and the other is a little off. The new leaves it produces are purple and translucent.

I'd been using Osmocote + root tabs, dosing with glut (15 mL per day, full strength), and flourish once a week. In the past two weeks I've started using PPS Pro daily and injecting co2. I have the Ecoxotic E-Series lights.

I'm sure this is some sort of nutrient deficiency but I'm not too sure what. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like new leaves,I've had this happen with some swords before&the purple color is short lived as the new leaf matures..a pic would definitely help.

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

That sounds like a lifetime supply.

I change about 2 5ml every 2 weeks.. already through half of it.. I'm going to attempt to diy it..

I change about 2 5ml every 2 weeks.. already through half of it.. I'm going to attempt to diy it..

Just make sure you've got a scale accurate enough. I know a lot of the time they say make it a quart at a time...

Tiger,

The leaves are relatively new, but many of the other leaves that just came in started off bright green. That's why I was curious about a nutrient deficiency. But yes, pics will be posted later. Just have to get out of this pesky job...

5L distilled + 6g. Baking soda?? It's alot but I can just send a bunch out to you guys!

Just make sure you've got a scale accurate enough. I know a lot of the time they say make it a quart at a time...

Tiger,

The leaves are relatively new, but many of the other leaves that just came in started off bright green. That's why I was curious about a nutrient deficiency. But yes, pics will be posted later. Just have to get out of this pesky job...

No work no play...lol

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

You may have a melon sword, and since it's not brown no need to worry, but I'm gonna bet with melon sword since melon swords turn purple, red-ish.

Khan,

Definitely not a melon sword. This is just a plain ol' Amazon Sword.

I promised pictures earlier. Here they are:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416976753.841011.jpg
That's a shot from above.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416976788.461254.jpg
That's after I removed the leaves.

It's difficult to see in the picture, but the outer edges and veins have a purple tinge to them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Those leaves seem brown and dead, do you use an fertilizers for amazon sword, because it might be dying.

Khan,

Yes I fertilize. Full story in first post. Leaves still grow like that, that's how they look when they start coming in.

Looks like a possible deficiency max.. not sure which one though haha. What are you using for root tabs?

O-cote plus baby.

Maybe the roots aren't getting the nutrients. I didn't see this until after I replanted it again. I'll just jam another tab in there...

I think my gravel is really killing me, I mean there's basically no nutrient retention, right? I'd like to switch to the very fine Ecocomplete, but that's not in the cards for awhile.

Ok, here's my new theory on root tabs.. i used this in my pool filter sanded tank.. the gravel ceratinly poses a problem for retaining nutrients.. I used flourish tabs as more of a medium for the o tabs to take hold if that makes sense.. perhaps in your case just get a small bag of flourite black and use that around the base of the swords to gather the nutrients up and hold them for the sword to snack on?

Back
Top Bottom