Purple Long Tentacle Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
After doing quite a lot of research and reading, forum lurking and talking with a couple of different LFS's, I found and purchased a really pretty, small Purple LTA.

My parameters:

pH 8.2
AM 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5

I have left the bottom of my tank, about 4 inches of fine sand, clear for this very purpose and am excited about my new addition. I also made sure to add the foam cover to my powerhead to avoid any potential mishaps. So far it has explored the bottom of my tank for the last couple of days and seems to have settled in an area that it likes, but has not completely burried its foot. He appears healthy, full and with its sticky arms moving around, adjusting and exploring. From everything I have read, patience is key to let the anemone acclimate to its new environment and to find its location.

From what I understand, it will derive daily nutrition from symbiotic algae, zooxanthellae, that dwells within its tissue, but will benefit from the occasional feeding of meaty foods and thought it might help encourage it to set itself in place if I give it a treat. I have also read, and may try, putting a perforated plastic container over the anemone and that is somehow supposed to help it decide to attach/anchor its foot?

Any suggestions on an easy first meal based on your own experiences. I know that I can go and purchase variety of things, chop up into small pieces, but am wondering if anyone purchases any premade products that work well with their LTA? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Mike

I feed mine Mysis all the time. It also likes raw shrimp, I just cut them in half, shell them and they eat the entire thing.

Came home today after being away for three and found my LTA pretty much where it was left. It's foot is full and has a very nice peach color (Assuming this is a good thing) and its tentacles were waving about and seem active. My clown seems very curious and although not rubbing or swimming in the anemone, it is swimming down to touch a tentacle and spending a lot of time around the LTA. I'm hoping it might form a bond.

Since it was time to do some maintenance and a water change, I decided at the conclusion to go ahead and bury the LTA's foot in the sand. Although it contracted quite a lot, it seems to be staying put and time will tell. I'm going to run out to my LFS to replenish my RO/DI water and I'm hoping they might have a treat so I can feed the anemone!

You can't do anything to make it stay in one place. It will move where it wants to until it's happy. Try not to feed it massive pieces of food. something pea sized is plenty.

Thanks Mr. X

Yep, I have resolved to leave it alone. I fed it a piece of silverside fish and it devoured it! It was really cool to watch. While it grabbed the fish it stood straight up and popped itself out of the sand where I had previously partially buried its foot. It's right back where it started laying on its side.

If it is staying put in one area, but not burying its foot, does it mean it is stressed or unhappy? I've seen it moving around the tank, but it has not ventured to the other. If it doesn't move their on its own, should I give it the opportunity to "Find it," by giving him some gentle encouragement?

Thanks again for your reply.

Mike

I would leave it be and let it move as needed. the way they move is by swelling up with water to increase buoyancy, and letting the current take them. Is there adequate flow in the tank?

I use a vortech mp10 pump on lagoon mode, so the pump varies flow and intensity based on the built in programming. I have seen the LTA swell up and do exactly what you mentioned, kind of float, bounce and roll around to different locations, although it always the same area of the tank. I initially place it on one side, my preferred placement and it moved to the other side. I did it again, and of course, it move all the way across back to the other side. Since then, I haven't touched it except to offer it a snack.

I have one power head on the back and another on the side to keep more of a random flow. By the way, I noticed a very digested fish head sitting on the disc of the LTA, is it common for them to spit out food? I know it's one way in and one way out, but was just curious.

Thanks again,

Mike

It's not common, unless the piece was too big. It's stressful for the creature to digest large pieces.
Maybe the current is always sending it back to the same area?
I would think it would have attached to something if it was satisfied with it's position.
Parameter or lighting issue? Everything cool?

Well, strangely enough during our conversation this morning, it appears to be attaching its foot under the sand against a piece of rock. Not quite there, but hopefully a positive sign. I turned down my pumps in intensity when I introduced the LTA to lower the flow at the bottom of the tank, but my ecotech in lagoon mode can sometimes sneak a pretty powerful pulse in once in a while. I'll go to manual mode and turn it down.

Water parameters (API Liquid drop Test):

pH 8.2 - 8.3 depending on time of day
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 - 5

For lighting I use a LED Tablet which puts out quite a lot of light, which they claim can support a SPS corals (Which I don't have). 14k white with a couple of blue lights.

Thanks again, well see what happens with its foot. Again, the color looks good, it appears to be active

My LTA still in the same place, with its foot wedged, buried in the sand and under a piece of rock. Like Mr. X pointed out, I believe I provided a first meal that was just too large, and tried again this afternoon with the "Pea" size portion. Seemed to enjoy it without issue. It's foot is currently fully expanded, so I'm hoping it is happy!

If it decides it wants to stay put, I may have to move a frag of finger leather, but other than that, I should be O.K.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom