Push in the right direction please guys? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewh133

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I recently bought a 38 gallon, 3ft long tank I will be setting up for my first saltwater fish tank. I'm super excited, but not rushing into anything. I want this tank to be basically set up similar to what's in this youtube video:

‪35 gallon saltwater reef aquarium‬‏ - YouTube

I want a few LPS/soft coral like in that video, a couple of clown fish, a chromis and one or two more small fish.

I'm basically looking for some tips on what else I will need to set this up?

I have bought a 3ft 4X39w t5 light setup, so I think I am set as far as lighting goes.

I live in Australia and a lot of brands aren't sold here. I will link a couple of websites and if anyone could have a quick browse and recommend the rest of the equipment I will need (refug/sumps/pumps/heaters/filters/powerhead/overflow etc) that would be EXTREMELY helpful. I do have lights though, so I do not need those.

Links to Australian online stores:

Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online

Complete Filtration System & Sumps

Age of Aquariums - Home

Thanks so much guys. I really can't wait to get everything together and begin my fishless cycle!

I would suggest making a refugium out of another smaller tank. You need an overflow, the actual refugium, and a return pump.

Hi Slither! Thanks for your response.

I found this for a return pump, is it overkill or about right?

Eheim Compact Plus 3000

What size tank would you recommend for the refugium for my 38 gallon?

I have a 20g fuge for my 40g so.... Lol and the return pump depends on your overflow. Pick an overflow then choose a return pump that is rated above the overflow.

that poor yellow tang. that tank is way too small for him.

that second link, the reef shop, has power heads made by Hydor, called Koralia.
These are ok for the money.
Hydor Koralia K3
that same website also carries "quiet one" pumps. one of these is what i would choose for a return from sump.
I would get that tank drilled in the back, instead of using a HOB overflow box. a single hole about 4" from the top and 4" from the corner will do. I would drill it for a 1.5" bulkhead. that will be more than enough.
This would use gravity to change water, instead of siphon- a much more reliable set up.
i would have the return come over the top. no need to drill a second hole.

Cheers Mr_X, helpful links. In regards to the pumps, how many GPH should I be looking at for a 38 gallon tank? I don't want to be forking out extra dough for more powerful equipment if I don't need it :)

Also, can you please explain a bit more these 1.5" bulkheads? I understand what a overflow box does, but I have not heard much about bulkheads.

Again, thanks for the assistance!

Thanks again Mr-X, helpful link.

Anyone have any recommendations for products on those sites to set up a sump or refugium? What I need to set up either of those are what confuses me most.

Ok, I found the pump Mr_X, Quiet One 3000. I have decided I'd like to set up a sump to keep everything nice and tidy.

I found this powerhead that I thought may do alright, thoughts?

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-S...Wave-Maker-Pump-3000lph-30-W0QQAdIdZ286625159

Also, any tips on a decent protein skimmer from the sites listed? Something that won't break the bank, I'm trying to keep the setup under $700 if possible :)

I am also looking at powerheads, and have read the Hydor Koralia are the way to go. I read flow should be 20X your volume of the tank if keeping coral. Judging by this I need 760 GPH. Is this best achieved with one 760 GPH powerhead or 2X 380GPH powerheads?

Sorry to add another question guys, but I have a couple of opportunities in regards to equipment that I would love your advice on.

First is, I've been offered a used AquaC EV180 skimmer for a reasonable price, and I was wondering your thoughts on that. Second, I have been offered a brand new Red Sea Berlin XL for $200 including a Red Sea 18 Blade pump.

Are these good pumps and good deals, or is there better I can do with around $150-200 for a skimmer?

Can't help you with the skimmers. But with the powerheads, I have two in my 33 gal Solana cube. I have one that stays on and the other turns on and off with a timer every few minutes. I think one large powerhead would push too hard in one spot.

If you got a vortek mp10, you could use it on a larger tank and it would give you a lot of flexability.

Unfortunately the MP10 is a little out of my price range. I contacted glass-holes and they said my flow should be 760 gallons, one third ran through the sump (overflow) and the remaining 2/3 through powerhead. The Koralia should be able to cover that nicely I think :)

Anyone able to help me in regards stuff I mentioned above?

sure. that power head seems ok. it's a koralia knock off. koralias aren't necessarily the "way to go" they are just cheap. there are others that are similar, like the one you posted, that work just as well, or better.
random turbulence is what you want to achieve. whether it's with one power head or many.
those skimmers look nice. they look like octopus clones. i don't know about the pumps though. i'd probably go with the one with the external pump if you can fit it (easier maintenance).
as far as flow inside the display goes, it depends on what corals you intend to keep.

Mainly LPS and softies (hammer, torch, cult), but hopefully some SPS too.

I want something like this tank:

‪jetstream01's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

He said he used a Koralia Nano and 750, so I presume that should probably work for my tank?

Also, one more silly question: the tank I plan on buying has 6mm thick glass. Does thickness of the glass matter at all and is 6mm sufficient?

the skimmer you are considering is much better than his. skip the koralia nano. it's about worthless. They should have called that a koralia pico.
a larger pump would be better.
the glass is fine.

the skimmer you are considering is much better than his. skip the koralia nano. it's about worthless. They should have called that a koralia pico.
a larger pump would be better.
the glass is fine.

:lol:

nigegognnhhpnhh (15 char min >.>)

Question about lighting guys. I've heard it's quite easy to have too much lighting for your tank to the point where your corals start to turn white/die.

For a 3ft long tank, 38 gallon how many bulbs would you suggest? As I've said above, mainly planning on softies/LPS, but want the option of adding an anemone and maybe a couple SPS down the track. Should I be going for 4 or 6 bulbs?

This is the 4 bulb one I was looking at:

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_8&products_id=1548

And this is the 6 bulb I was looking at:

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...-910-long-individual-reflectors/prod_637.html

These LED fixtures are apparently really good as well. The 120W version is only $275.

AMDbulbs - Products

i don't know how easy it is to have too much lighting. acclimation is important though, and i've seen folks upgrading their lights and then having bleaching events. i used 8 lamp fixtures over my 17" deep reef. two 4' fixtures with 8 x 54watts in each and high end lamps. i didn't bleach much through the transition.
i would go with the 6 lamp fixture, without knowing how good the LED fixtures you linked are.

Back
Top Bottom