Put store water into tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benwitz2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon with 5 neon tetras, 1 silver Molly, and a Mickey Mouse Molly. I'm a rookie at aquariums and whenever I got a new fish, I didn't think it was a big deal to put the water that was from the store into my tank water. I've done this a couple times, and I've realized that I could be introducing parasites. Is there any measure I could take to "disinfect" my water and make sure there's no parasites? I have the means to disinfect individual fish, but then the parasites are still in the water. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as your fish are healthy they should not get sick with a parasite. As humans we have tons of various parasites al around us and we don't get ill if we are healthy.

Imo don't over think it. If you think about it, the water you add during water changes probably has parasites in it too.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Youre correct in worrying about adding store water into your tank. Most commonly this can introduce ich. However theres a ton of other nasties that can get in that way as well.

Theres not really any way to disinfect your water. But keep an eye on the fish.
As long as your fish are healthy they should not get sick with a parasite. As humans we have tons of various parasites al around us and we don't get ill if we are healthy.

Imo don't over think it. If you think about it, the water you add during water changes probably has parasites in it too.

If your tap water has parasites in it, then you have serious water quality issues.

Some people have wells, so that can introduce stuff. Honestly if your worried use some of the parasite 'wormers' for fish, and just met the fish out first. Most people try to do a quarantine tank so it reduces the odds, I myself lost almost an entire tank due to not doing this, sounds awful but I still don't because I don't have the room for another tank at the moment.

I'm in the same boat as Toad. Lost half my tank to a sick fish I bought. No real space for a qt tank plus my mom doesn't want another tank

First choice is a QT, no doubts about that.
However, if you don't have one you can minimise the risks of introducing nasties from the LFS water. Drip feed tank water into the LFS poly bag until nearly full, remove some and drip some more, or put the water and fish into a bucket and drip until the bucket is nearly full. Net the fish and transfer them to the tank. Dispose of the bucket of water and top up the tank using dechlorinated tap water.
There should never be bugs in the mains supply, the chlorine and chloramine sorts that out.
Keep the tank water as good as you are able, to reduce stress and allow the fish to fight their own battles against any infection. Those first two weeks are critical.
I never medicate fish unless they have symptoms, IMO unnecessary medication weakens healthy fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom