Putting an aquarium upstairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blindmelon119

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any thoughts on putting a 120 gallon aquarium in an upstairs room? Weight problem? Leaks? Something in the back of my mind says I should look before I leap on this one. The house is 6 years old.

With a new house like yours I wouldn't worry. Just make sure it is level and on a sturdy stand. You should defiantly have it listed on your home owners/renters insurance just incase it were to flood as water damage gets very expensive!

Also, you should position it so that it lays across the floor joists and not between them. That way, the load is spread across multiple joists and you won't wake up one morning with your tank in your kitchen...

This is on my second story. House is roughly 10years old. As long as you don't bust the glass and have it all run down between the walls, you'll be fine.

Attachments

• image-3577926674.jpg
    image-3577926674.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 67
With a new house like yours I wouldn't worry. Just make sure it is level and on a sturdy stand. You should defiantly have it listed on your home owners/renters insurance just incase it were to flood as water damage gets very expensive!

Place a level on the floor start filling and if you see it going off level then I wouldn't lol.

Fire and rescue advise and don't like heavy objects on upper floors because incase of a fire It could fall trough the floor.

Also, you should position it so that it lays across the floor joists and not between them. That way, the load is spread across multiple joists and you won't wake up one morning with your tank in your kitchen...

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the direction the joists are running.

Back
Top Bottom